• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Harvested some humungus brussel sprouts some mooli
    For some reason I read that as Harvested some humbugs

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
      For some reason I read that as Harvested some humbugs
      Novel crop idea you've got there Ryleh!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• This morning I snipped/pulled the last of the giant nettles that had been growing behind my pallet compost bins - these bins are getting emptied and dismantled soon as I've bought a couple of sectional upright bins off G**tree that will use up less space.
        Pruned my solitary gooseberry bush and pulled up all the weeds and strawberry runners that were growing underneath it.
        He-Pep!

Comment

• I dug some potatoes to go with this evenings roast lamb. And found another two holes the lovely fluffy bunnies ( please translate into a more appropriate phrase )have dug.

Comment

• Just been out doing a little weeding and watering and noticed that the kohl rabi seedling are i think small cabbages, which means they are planted far too close together, i really do not want to thin them, grr i know my Spanish is not great but grr its annoying. They seem to only do 3 types of cabbage here small white ones, big white ones and red ones, pretty sure they are the small ones.
            Wonder if i just left them i would just have very small cabbages which i won't mind as there is only the 2 of us....ummm.........
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• I noticed my big blow away was nearly blowing away today & my seedlings were on the built in shelf,so I got my little blow away out the shed & put them safe in there (secured by metal chairs against my house so a bit more warmth too). If the big one collapses I won't mind now.

Comment

• A bit miserable today so lit the wood burner in the greenhouse and had a big tidy up. Took all my bunches of grapes off the vine and did its autumn pruning when i was on.
                Pulled up all the toms in a single raised bed, composted them and fed the mushy tomatoes to the chooks.
                Turned over the same bed and after adding some rock dust planted out a dozen Starmaker kale where the toms were.Put some slug pellets around them which don't need to be covered for the birda as its indoors
                Took my two little bunches of leek grass to the allotment that i had harvested from two seed heads of two different strains of leek.They have been sitting on damp kitchen roll in my kitchen to form a few roots.Potted up two dozen of each strain into modules.
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  I dug some potatoes to go with this evenings roast lamb. And found another two holes the lovely fluffy bunnies ( please translate into a more appropriate phrase )have dug.
                  Pesky Wabbits......................

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Funny that, I'm on another forum where I always seem to be mentioning a load of 'Fluffy bunnies'

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted out 4 of my brussels sprouts evesham special plants,protected with a half plastic bottle with copper tape around it to protect from slugs,it's also like a wind block although I have put a plastic cloche over the whole lot too. The soil was nice,it's where my runner bean plants were grown & I'd covered the lot with chopped up old bean plants,so very few weeds when I moved it all along. Potted on my winter gem lettuce & had a tidy up of the big blow away,also secured it a bit better because it's so windy out there.

Comment

• I accidentally went into the garden centre, you see it is rude if you are passing and do not pop in.
                        I then bought 40!! yes 40 sprouted garlic sets (do you call garlic a set?)
                        Then 10 cauliflower plug plants even though i said i would only try a few more again this year, now that is 20 in the plot, whoops-a-daisy.
                        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Yesterday I took the netting off my fruit cage after a massive gust of wind pulled one of the frame joints apart. Luckily it isn't damaged but as a windy week is forecast I thought I would rather be safe than sorry. If anyone has tried wrestling with several metres of veggiemesh in a howling gale they will have a fair idea of my morning!

Carrots are now protected by a much smaller mesh frame weighed down by strawberry plants.
                          Last edited by Penellype; 10-11-2015, 08:57 AM.
                          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Had a very productive afternoon. The temp went up to 18deg. Very windy but warm.
                            dug up the last of my outdoor tomatoes.
                            dug and raked over the whole bed, and then, being seduced by the mild afternoon I decided to plant out my onion sets that were meant to stay in the greenhouse until spring.
                            i started these off in modules in September and they have grown so quickly.
                            they have been out on the garden bench for the past two weeks so they should be well hardened off.
                            I hope I wont regret it.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                              If anyone has tried wrestling with several metres of veggiemesh in a howling gale they will have a fair idea of my morning!
                              A fine line between laughing & swearing I would guess.................
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• While the weather was good late this morning I decided to cut the Dahlias back. Because of the mild weather they were still flowering but I needed to plant my Wallflowers in their place.
                                I was very lucky to get the job done as the weather broke just as I finished.
                                I am well pleased with the mornings work as it was getting a bit late to put them in the ground.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X