Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space saving bean supprts - inverted pyramid?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously weigh up the pros & cons but for just over a squid a 3m length, this is good stuff.

Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 20mm x 3m White (60m) Pack of 20 | Plastic Conduit & Acc | Screwfix.com
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

what i did this year,and will in 15,put a canes in the ground in a line aprox 14in apart say 6 canes,then30/36in the other direction repeat 6 more canes opposite,when inserting the canes,put them on a little slant,facing each other,get a cane aprox 1 foot longer than your row,weave this in and out of the uprights,have lengths of twine cut at the ready looped over a belt is great,push this one down until it's where you can tie them together easily,this should bring them to a X,so with the 2 oppotite canes X,with the longer 1 sitting between,tie them together,do this on all to the end,if i only got a few of each,i leave a gap between each variety along the plot with,the use another bit of cane tying one into the other,at the ends of each set,place a cane in the ground wigwam stile and tie in,this i found to be a very strong structure in the gales,as with the standard 1 little row gets blown over,warning,the ends of cane that stick proud both ends,put something bright on,as you need your eyes,you do not have to do 6,do as little or much as suits you,i also found it works well with only 4 canes,instead of the wigwam,as you get more air movement,hope you can understand what i mean,am just not very good at explaining in a quicker way,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Obviously weigh up the pros & cons but for just over a squid a 3m length, this is good stuff.

Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 20mm x 3m White (60m) Pack of 20 | Plastic Conduit & Acc | Screwfix.com
        Thanks I'll try them next time I need to buy canes. I wonder how long they'll last before they get brittle?
        Longer than canes last perhaps?

Comment

I've used them for Hoops, Brassica Cages, Runner Bean arches on top of canes. I find them good value for money............Just buy a couple to try out then you are not laying out too much cash.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I only have 1 arch with containers at the bottom at the moment but I am umming and arring over whether I can find space to get another one and cross them over so it gives me a pergola thingy. It would mean I have a X shape to play with.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

For anyone with a Runner Bean bed that stays put in one place, rather than rotating with crops, worth looking at a Munty Frame. Looks like a bus shelter and you can walk "inside" to pick the beans dangling from the roof (and grow a catch-crop inside the shelter too)

Searching Google Images for:

Munty Bean Frame

gives plenty of illustrations better than I can describe
              Last edited by Kristen; 30-12-2014, 09:38 AM.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Trix View Post
                The arches look good
                There is a stately home near us that has metal arches over a main path in their veg patch which they grow Runners over. This photo was a bit early in the year to see them, but the "Hoops" are to the right of the Asparagus bed (of which they had several ... all very smartly kept and rather depressing as a consequence!!)

K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                  Thanks I'll try them next time I need to buy canes. I wonder how long they'll last before they get brittle?
                  Longer than canes last perhaps?
                  I had 5 over from another project so cobbled up some Runner Bean supports over the Courgette beds:

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X