Heated Propagation bench/Table

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rary View Post
    Deano if you are thinking of mixing vermiculite with a combustible medium ie. peat for example
    Rary! I wouldn't dream of it! Having done a little more research, think I'll stick with the "Basics" but cheers for your input!

Still early days! Only in the planning process!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

One thing you could try is a piece of slate for the base and then place your tray's and pots on top of the slate. Underneath the slate, place a paraffin heater. This will warm the slate and then in turn keep your seedlings warm. Similar to this.
      An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

What I made for a propagation bench, is a wooden box 6`x 2`6" x 8"high, the size of the box depends on the length of the cable, the base must be of good timber I used 3/4"ply just in-case I wanted to move it without completely emptying it I lined the box with polythene spread 2" of washed builders sand across the base then fitted the heating cable on top of the sand (you may need to switch the heat cable on for a short time to make it flexible ensure that it dose not touch anything that could melt eg. polythene, polystyrene etc. what I did was placed it roughly how I wanted it holding it in place with dollops of sand, switched on the cable till it became flexible then disconnected the cable and placed as required, make sure the cable dose not touch or cross over its self and keep it at least 2" from the box sides I then covered it with a further 2" of sand and fitted a cable thermostat through the box ensure that the cable runs under where the thermostat is fitted cover with a further 2" of sand wet the sand and switch on, the sand should be kept moist for an even heat distribution use a thermometer to check the heat and adjust the thermostat as required
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X