No announcement yet.

Penellype's 2015 Edible Garden Challenge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearing the end of the year now, we've had some frost and the summer veg is all gone. I thought it might be interesting to list the crops that are still going towards the end of November, so here they are (crops marked * have not yet been eaten for the challenge):

Outdoors – ready or nearly ready to harvest
    Beetroot Boltardy*
    Brokali Endeavour*
    Cabbage Pixie
    Carrot Autumn King
    Carrot Eskimo
    Carrot Marion
    Carrot Nantes Frubund Fastcrop
    Chinese Celery Kin Tsai
    Corn Salad*
    Komatsuna Comred (protected from frost with fleece)
    Komatsuna Torasan
    Leek Oarsman
    Mizuna Red Knight
    Namenia (protected from frost with fleece)
    Potato Charlotte (1 bucket to harvest, moved to the garage to avoid frost)
    Spinach Amazon
    Spring Onion Ramrod
    Wild Strawberry (a few nearly ripe fruit left)

In the growhouse, attempting to extend the season

Lettuce Relic (nearly finished)
    Lettuce Valmaine
    Strawberry Everbearer (a few green fruit left, not hopeful!)

Outdoors for later in the winter/spring
    Broccoli Early Purple
    Cabbage Spring Hero
    Carrot Marion
    Kohlrabi Vienna Mix
    Leek Albana
    Leek Oarsman
    Spinach Giant Winter*

In the house – ready or nearly ready to harvest

Lettuce Mix (nearly finished)
    Lettuce Valmaine
    Mibuna
    Mitsuba Mashimori
    Pea shoots (Onward)
    Pepper Snackbite Orange (2 green fruit remain)

In the house – successional sowings or for later
    Alfalfa sprouts
    Amaranth Red Army microgreens
    Cress Curled microgreens*
    Lettuce Valmaine
    Lettuce Winter Gem
    Mustard Green Frills microgreens
    Radish Red Stem Sangria microgreens

Stored fresh in the house or garage for winter use
    Onion Sturon (garage)
    Potato Charlotte, Desiree, Sarpo Axona, Sarpo Mira (garage)
    Tomato Roma, Shirley, Sungold, Sweet Aperitif (picked green and ripening in the house)
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Variety 106 is cress (curled) grown as microgreens on the kitchen windowsill. Cress seems a bit like cheating somehow, but it grows and its edible, so I can count it

Had an egg and cress sandwich for lunch - can't remember the last time I had one of those!
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Variety 107 is Corn Salad in today's lunchtime salad:

Top to bottom: Namenia, mizuna, red komatsuna, baby pak choi, sungold tomatoes, pea shoots, corn salad, green komatsuna, lettuce valmaine and relic, and chinese celery. Not a bad plateful for December!
        Attached Files

Comment

• REALLY good!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Pene...................Have you got buck teef & big ears?.......................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• (I have lots of carrots too!)

Congrats on the MoM Bigmally - just noticed
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Penellype; 07-12-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Variety 108 is beetroot boltardy, although I must admit to cheating here. The idea was to grow baby beets - it was an afterthought as I had an empty pot and some seed which I'd used at my friend's house earlier in the year. Although they are growing very slowly, they are only about marble sized at best, and I doubt if they wll be ready before new year, if at all. But I was making another salad for lunch (mainly to use up the lettuces in the growhouse which were rapidly succumbing to botrytis) so I decided to pick a couple of the small very red leaves to add some colour.

This salad has slightly different components from yesterday's - lettuce (valmaine, relic and mixed leaf), mizuna, namenia, mibuna, beet greens, pea shoots, sungold tomatoes, mustard and cress and a couple of small nasturtium leaves from a late seedling that had somehow survived the frost. Yesterday was tuna, today its egg mayo. I'm not entirely "rabbit"!

I must admit that having eaten the beet greens, I don't like them any more than the chard!
                Last edited by Penellype; 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Variety 109 is Brokali Endeavour (tenderstem broccoli) - I've not grown this before. Its a cross between broccoli and kale and is supposed to produce through the winter. Today I have harvested the central head at around the size of a golf ball, as instructed on the packet. Unfortunately the very middle has gone black for some reason, but I have about a dozen small florets from round the outside to eat for dinner. The good news is that there are loads of small sideshoots forming. I only have 1 plant, in a 30 litre pot.

Comment

• Terrific effort, Penellype, both the growing and the way you've documented it here

Comment

• Thanks Chris - I've tried to keep it interesting where I can. The question now is can I get to 110 in the next couple of weeks?

Comment

• I'm sure you can Pene!
                        What else is a possible?

Comment

• I have winter spinach which is growing at a snail's pace and mispoona which is at the seed leaf stage at the moment. Its possible either could be ready for a baby leaf salad before new year. Personally my money would be on the mispoona.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                            Thanks Chris - I've tried to keep it interesting where I can. The question now is can I get to 110 in the next couple of weeks?
                            Grass?....................
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• I have some primroses in flower so I could eat those, but I'd rather leave them where they are really!

Comment

• My growing space is similar to yours Penellype, and I appreciate what you've done.

I'm also trying to make the best of what space I have available, including the frustration of more of my garden in shade than I would like.

I've gradually increased the number of things I grow, both the range of different things and the number of varieties of each. Each year there are more things I want to grow, so I try and work out how to do it and how to fit things in.

Nowhere near your 100 in 2015, but I must have got to over 50, and it will probably be more in 2016

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X