No announcement yet.

To chit, or not to chit?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chit mine (if nothing else, to make an interesting talking point if I ever have guests round). I'm not sure what difference it makes - I've only grown potatoes in grow bags so far, but when it comes to the First Allotment Potato Harvest, I'm hoping to see some benefits of chitting.

Comment

Yes, always chit mine - have saved up lots of egg boxes ready for the seed potatoes to arrive in January. Then they'll stay on the cooler window sills till early April-ish, depending on the weather. I don't know if chitting is really necessary, but it sort of builds up a sense of optimism about the year to come.

Comment

I chit potatoes. This year was the first time I plated seed potatoes, so I very carefully followed the advice on the bag. All other potatoes I've ever planted have been from the back of the food cupboard that I've forgotten about , and they seem to chit quite happily by them selves

Comment

What would I use my dining room table for in the first months of the year if I didn't chit my spuds? Also I'm pretty sure I would plant them all upside down if I didn't have that helpful clue! Mine all go in 55cm pots - about 25 of them...

BTW - joking about the upside down bit!!
          The cats' valet.

Comment

When I started with one ploty I chitted, with three plots, one of which was a tattie plot I had neither time nor space to chit.

Did it make any difference? not a bit.

I grow first earlies in buckets now and having done some trials where half were chitted and half were'nt.

Did it make any difference? not a bit.

Comment

For those that haven't had my tuppence worth on this before (and apologies to those who have) PW is correct in saying that chitting makes no difference - to the ultimate crop. It may encourage a slightly earlier crop but ultimately chitting is simply a way of controlling the growth of the potato sprouts before planting. Commercial growers keep their seed potatoes in carefully controlled conditions and low temperatures for that are essential. We lesser mortals don't have temperature controlled warehouse conditions however and for most of us, keeping the seed potatoes indoors is the only way we have of protecting them from frost. If kept in the dark with even the slightest amount of heat, long spindly easily broken sprouts will develop. However, if kept in open light, the sprouts/chits which develop, will be small, stubby and robust and they will keep in that state until suitable planting conditions are available.

Do I chit my seed potatoes? Depends on when I buy them. If bought within 10 - 14 days of my intended planting date, I don't bother. If bought earlier I do but simply to prevent long sprouts developing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                Do I chit my seed potatoes? Depends on when I buy them. If bought within 10 - 14 days of my intended planting date, I don't bother. If bought earlier I do but simply to prevent long sprouts developing.
                Quite

Dunno if it still happens? but a few years ago I remember folk on the forums saying that well known seed companies had shipped their seed potatoes several weeks before Xmas ... that's a lot of weeks to keep them before planting!!, and stuck in the cupboard / bag they would develop fragile long white shoots that would be bound to break off on planting, and consume/waste the Spud's reserves of energy.

So unless the seed potatoes arrive shortly before planting, or folk have a suitable cool-store to keep them in, then I think chitting is the best way of keeping them and getting them ready for planting.
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I don't know if it makes any difference but I chit because my granddad did and he was my inspiration to get an alotment. I also find that between buying them and planting they start to chit anyway.

Comment

Always chitted my spuds, cause when I started my allotment, everyone else did so, so being the new kid on the block, did the same! Like someone else said, it gives optimism to see them developing for the coming season!

Comment

I chit. I think it probably does make a small difference as they breach the soil a day or so earlier.

Comment

What I am finding strange is that about 4/6 weeks ago, I planted 20 Apache under cover. All were chitted yet none are showing signs of foliage. Other varieties which I didn't chit are growing great guns & were planted later.........
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I always chit, but mainly because a garage full of egg boxes with sprouting potatoes in the dark mornings of late winter / early spring gives me hope that one day something will grow again!

Comment

I've never chitted, but then I grew up on a farm where the things were planted by the acre so I know they always get there in the end.

Comment

I chit but for no scientific reason, just because it was what I was shown all those years ago
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X