No announcement yet.

What won't you bother with again?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to stop growing courgettes until i realised that when i have some to give away we get far less visitors.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alicante View Post
      Courgettes. Over the years I have grown round ones, stripy ones, ridged ones, green ones and yellow ones often at the same time. I have given most of the crop away as there is really only so many courgettes one family wants to eat. I have made cakes with them and jam. The cakes are soggy and frankly a waste of the other ingredients. Why make a courgette cake when a carrot cake is soooo much nicer?
      But they are easy to grow and fill up gaps nicely. And I have just bought some new courgette seeds for next year!
      Custard pie squashs though, never again.
      I dehydrate my courgettes to make crisps. They vanish as quickly as I can make them, and it takes many courgettes to fill a jar...just a thought.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        Radish, easy to grow my foot
        I grew some this year. They really were easy. I just did them in a window planter of compost. But I dont Radishes that much so won't be bothering next year.

I also won't be growing corguettes. I love them but the truth is that they take up too much space! I think I'll be growing some root veg, kale or beans instead.
        Last edited by Snow; 13-11-2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I have gone from 3 plots to a garden pottager with obviously a lot less space. I now only grow stuff that is expensive, better very fresh or difficult to get hold of. With that I dont bother with onions as they are so cheap to buy, same with main crop potatoes and most root veg. I do grow kale, soft fruits, asparagus, beans, more beans, leeks, chillies, tomatoes, courgettes, squash and banana shallots, winter cabbage and cauliflowers and they make good use of the beds over winter.

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
            Winston potatoes......slugged to death when other spuds were untouched.
            Then again, what if the others were untouched because of the winstons? should I grow them as a sacrificial crop?

Atlantic giant pumpkin.....too big to justify cutting into just for me and no-one else here likes punikins.
            Then again, they are good fun, and they make the plot look good when other crops are past their prime, and the other plotters ooohed and aaaahed and thought I was a very clever gardener

physalis.....only twice in a decade have they produced a crop.
            Then again, when they do ripen they are outstandingly good! And they are so expensive in the shops, and they are my daughter's most very favouritest favourite fruit in the world....

So nothing is the answer.
            Nothing is going to be left out because I never learn
            I am plagued by gardeners optimism disease every spring, convinced that this will be my year and everything will grow and ripen and be delicious
            I do like poditive reframing.
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
              So do I...................

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                I live my life by that rule !!!

(what is it anyway....?)
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Something to do with Peas I think................
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

For a waste of space i nominate shallots............

Comment

Not a great deal of experience to draw on (yet), but enough to conclude that a few crops really aren't worth the effort. These would be:

Radish (usually pathetic, and the slugs get there first anyway).
                      Courgette (plants take up a lot of room, are quick to succumb to problems, I find the fruits generally on the bland side, and I can't even give away any surpless).
                      Sweet Pepper 'Tasty Grill Red' F1 from T&M (only brand specific entry on the list, but these plants are incredibly slow growing and low yielding).
                      - I find sweet peppers generally to be tather underwhelming in their performance.
                      Last edited by Philthy; 16-11-2014, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                        Not a great deal of experience to draw on (yet), but enough to conclude that a few crops really aren't worth the effort. These would be:

Radish (usually pathetic, and the slugs get there first anyway).
                        Sweet potatato (only really viable under glass as I understand it; even then in three attempts I'm yet to unearth anything that I wouldn't be embarrassed by at a show).
                        Courgette (plants take up a lot of room, are quick to succumb to problems, I find the fruits generally on the bland side, and I can't even give away any surpless).
                        Potatoes grown in bags (not worth the care or investment for the typical yield given - easier and cheaper just to buy).
                        Sweetcorn (full sun all day or nothing it seems, so nothing it is).
                        Sweet Pepper 'Tasty Grill Red' F1 from T&M (only brand specific entry on the list, but these plants are incredibly slow growing and low yielding).
                        - I find sweet peppers generally to be tather underwhelming in their performance.

Looking forward to trying kale next year
                        You have heard the saying "Every dog has it's day" well so does every veg. You can fail with something for several years and then it will produce a bumper crop. The problem is knowing which veg is going to do well the next year. This last year it was onions and tomatoes that did well, the year before that it was leeks and sweetcorn. So you can't really condemn a particular veg unless it has done consistently badly for quite a few years. When your plot is small as mine is that can be a real problem. But i am having to stop growing a lot of things that get mildew, I seem to suffer badly from it.
                        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                          I live my life by that rule !!!

(what is it anyway....?)
                          muddled was unhappy with his Winston potatoes as they were slug damaged and thought not to grow them again.
                          Bad thing.
                          He/ She then noticed all other potatoes had no slug damage.
                          Good thing.
                          He/She then pondered,
                          Good thing.
                          Shall I grow this crop again (even though they were slug damaged)to stop my other potatoes getting slug damage?
                          Very good thing.
                          That is Positive Re-Framing. You take the good from a bad experience.
                          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                            You have heard the saying "Every dog has it's day" well so does every veg. You can fail with something for several years and then it will produce a bumper crop. The problem is knowing which veg is going to do well the next year. This last year it was onions and tomatoes that did well, the year before that it was leeks and sweetcorn. So you can't really condemn a particular veg unless it has done consistently badly for quite a few years. When your plot is small as mine is that can be a real problem. But i am having to stop growing a lot of things that get mildew, I seem to suffer badly from it.

You can get tablets for that!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Got to be spring planted red onion sets. Autumn planted ones are fine but breeders still haven't got their act together with spring planted red onion sets!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I agree Snadge. Even the heat treated ones are a disaster. I grow my reds from seed. That works well.

I'm not growing so many spuds. Main crop really cheap in the shops and they aren't worth the effort.

I'm getting too old for the labour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X