Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does everyone get the bulk of their seeds from?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get a lot of my seeds from the Organic Gardening online shop. Their prices aren't the best but I like their range (though I only buy seeds when I'm buying other stuff like enviromesh so I can reach the free postage limit) Seeds

Comment

I generally buy my seeds from Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue
      I find their descriptions and advice particularly helpful and everything they sell, they grow in Wales so I know I stand a fair chance here in London.
      They send cooking instructions and seed saving and specific growing instructions for everything you buy.
      Also, I once had some seeds fail to germinate, probably because my slightly dodgy propagator cooked them or something, so I reordered. They queried the reorder so I explained that the failure to germinate was entirely my fault....but they insisted on replacing the seeds for free anyway! This was way, way back when they were quite a young company but they were so nice I've stuck with them ever since.
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by eccles_angus View Post

I have been drawn by seed parade, but I can't find any comment on them for the last year or so.
        I have ordered from them, and I will be ordering from them again . I also like simply seeds & Nicky's nursery.
        I generally avoid the big companies, but I do like Dobies of Devon, just ordered my Nan birthday present from them

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
          Sorry, hadn't seen that when I posted above. Sounds very easy for the allotment, but I can't see the attraction for Suttons (same amount of small order handling etc.) and what's to stop someone just publishing the 40% off code on the web and the world and spouse taking advantage of it?

EDIT: Ah ... "Order Form" ... maybe that's it, not an online process perhaps?

Geographical area...

It works for web and phone orders too
          Last edited by alldigging; 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I always have bought most of them from premier seeds direct on ebay, never had any problems with any of them, very quick delivery,

For the more common ones I now get them in Bulgaria so just go into the local shops and buy the exact quantity I want by weight, very limited range though

Strange types of plant seeds such as tropical and citrus from Jungleseeds and tradewindsfruit

Aldi seeds also seem fine, grow fine, cheap , but much less of a range
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
              I generally buy my seeds from Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue
              I find their descriptions and advice particularly helpful and everything they sell, they grow in Wales so I know I stand a fair chance here in London.
              They send cooking instructions and seed saving and specific growing instructions for everything you buy.
              Also, I once had some seeds fail to germinate, probably because my slightly dodgy propagator cooked them or something, so I reordered. They queried the reorder so I explained that the failure to germinate was entirely my fault....but they insisted on replacing the seeds for free anyway! This was way, way back when they were quite a young company but they were so nice I've stuck with them ever since.
              They are properly lovely. I've been in touch with them a few times this year with seed saving queries I couldn't find the answer to in books or on the internet and they have always responded quickly and fully.
              Last edited by sparrow100; 11-11-2014, 03:54 PM.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've bought quite a few of the multipacks from Poundland with great success. They come in collections - salad, beans, etc and get about 5 or 6 packs of various seeds for a pound in most of them. Also bought their seed discs for toms and chillis -3 discs for a pound.
                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Another vote for the Wyevale 50p sale here. Anything I can't get there I tend to order from Marshalls, but I do get tempted by their buy x get 1 free offers - that's how I ended up with the cucumbers last year!

The odd time I have gone to the local garden centre and picked up a packet I've wished I hadn't. Its a nice place with helpful owners and its less than a mile away from my house, but the whole building is one big greenhouse and its not a great place to keep seeds as it gets far too hot.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Real seeds are my only supplier now.

Comment

I use the allotment Kings catalogue. Good value and pretty good range. Wyevale is good too, although this year my local was a bit secretive about when the sale started.

Comment

I've bought quite a few seeds from ebay, justseed are good, as is colint976. I do buy a fair few packets from the bigger companies too but that's normally special varieties or when they've got offers on. Wilko's are good and I like go to my local garden centre although the seeds are expensive and I've never seen them have a sale.
                        Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                          Wyevale is good too, although this year my local was a bit secretive about when the sale started.
                          I wander in immediately after the August Bank Holiday weekend. So did a lot of other people this year which was a few days before the monthly flier arrived in the post - racks were bare by then. Forums have announcements within hours ... perhaps that's what Wyevale Head Office uses to remind them to send out the flier?
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

We have Dobies seeds at 40% discount at our allotment association shed, so I tend to go there but Wilko's at the end of season is brilliant with 75% off quite a common deal. They also sell equipment etc at ridiculous prices eg 10 litre watering cans were 75p last year I got 4, and 5 metre rolls of plastic fencing for £1, great for peas, oh and I almost forgot 3" pots were 10 for 10p, I got 200 and gave all my old ones away.

Comment

Originally posted by the beadle View Post
                              oh and I almost forgot 3" pots were 10 for 10p, I got 200 and gave all my old ones away.
                              I had few of those... Using new pots is a real treat

Comment

If there is a Lidel or Aldi near you their seed are a good price.
                                I believe T&M used to give a 50% discount to allotment and garden clubs, so if there is one near you check with them for cheap seeds.
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X