• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the mixed seeds or the lack of rows, Deano.................or both

Comment

Firstly! I can't abide with mixed seed, as I want to know "Whats, what"

Even with flower seed!

And unruly rows would just cause me "Convulsions" .................
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I like mixed seed because of the surprise element. The pleasure of identifying the seedlings as they emerge. Even if they were all, say, sprouts, it wouldn't matter as you pick them when they're ready, not because the packet says "harvest in December" or summat. Same with leeks, cabbage etc - you judge when to pick them from their appearance.
        Its more difficult with something like mixed carrots because you can't see what's below ground, but that's the same whether you have a row of identical ones or a scattered bed of mixed ones.

I have tried to plant in rows ...........but failed. They start out straight but after a few feet the rows veers off to the right or left and looks more peculiar than if I just bob them in anywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

I have tried to plant in rows ...........but failed. They start out straight but after a few feet the rows veers off to the right or left and looks more peculiar than if I just bob them in anywhere..
          VC invest in a string line there are plenty out there, mine is two short lengths of bamboo and a string 1.2m or a bed width wide

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stringline.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2375593

or I use a roofing batten marked up with spacing centres, or a seed sowing rule here is one I made from a strip of plastic and the trusty soldering iron

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seed Spacing Rule.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2375594
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Quite like the seed sowing rule, Cadalot. I shall have to see about making one or, more likely, getting one made by Mr Snoop.

That said, I can't imagine VC using one. Just tell us you broadcast sow, VC, and that'll make it all right for the straight rowers.

Comment

I already have string on proper wooden sticks - gathering dust in the shed. Too much faff to find it, set it out, avoid stepping or kneeling on it, wind it up again afterwards and bung it back in the shed.
              Sometimes, please sit down, I plant out in a straightish line as I walk along a plank to do it. Truth is, I rarely sow veggies direct, usually start them in modules and plant them out later.

Comment

Yeah! Must admit to sowing indoors or undercover rather than sowing direct which I much prefer!

Each to there own VC, each to there own!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X