No announcement yet.

TV full of poncy items.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the 70s, the late, and much missed, Geoff Smith did a series on BBC from his Yorkshire allotment growing veg. We had just got married and he inspired me into growing and eating sprouts. It was a super series.
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
      If were planning a TV show I would call it "Fork to Fork". finally cooking ideas. .

Fork to plate?

Comment

Fork to Mouth?

Comment

I think that in this shrinking food production world it would be good to have type specific programmes e.g veggie & fruit, flowers for both decoration and pollination, water for wildlife and decoration and trees for wildlife and beauty.
          However, if my perfect programme was to be made I really wish the makers didn't assume we are all very wealthy. Beechgrove Garden recently helped a couple put raised beds in the garden - very expensive materials - I rely on old pallets. Labels made out of matured oak verses my pull can lids and permant marker, stonware pots on feet while I have plastic Wilkinsons ones.
          I understand that I am essentially jealous of all the beautiful stuff they say you need but...........I do not have the BBC's budget.
          Sue
          Still cheesed off I have'nt won the Lotto I suppose buying a ticket would help!
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I think gardeners world is getting better since the big grow your own boom a few years ago, this series much better again, it used to mainly be flowers and giant hedges, now far more food.

The thing is a lot of the flowers can be eaten as well, that needs more of a mention, duel purpose plants.....

Most of the gardens here in Bulgaria are the owners only source of food, they all grow lots of flowers as well, even smaller gardens they always fit them in as they keep the insects under control and get bees into your garden.

Many people here garden to be able to live, but living isn't only about being able to eat, you need enjoyment as well, flowers make your environment better, make the insects environment better and the insects make the growing environment for every ones food better

We have random flowers everywhere, in between random food and fruit plants, no organisation keeps pests away

Attached Files
            Last edited by starloc; 19-10-2014, 10:09 AM.
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KVgi7goAnc4

This was a not too bad wee programme - at least it was filmed on a "real" allotment, and not the ridiculous artificial plot from the Allotment Challenge.
              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post

This was a not too bad wee programme - at least it was filmed on a "real" allotment, and not the ridiculous artificial plot from the Allotment Challenge.
                I've watched the first 3 1/2 minutes and am much amused by the different plots he shows her.
                I suspect people do really think they'll get a weed free bare soil plot with greenhouse and shed in situ.

Comment

Thanks Kevin, most enjoyable. I thought it captured the spirit of allotmenteering beautifully. I'll watch episode 2 later...
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

To grow perfectly proportioned vegetables you can look no further than the show men/women.

I wonder if a program entitled 'Growing for showing' wouldn't be a bad idea for the fanatical veg enthusiast?

I would watch it out of interest but must admit I am a bit of a lazy gardener and tend to grow for taste rather than size or uniformity. I like to 'dabble' with growing a few large veg now and again but can't be bothered with the show circuit.

Do we have a growing for showing section on the vine?
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Fork to Mouth?
                      More likely to be foot in mouth with me!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As much as I love growing my veggies, I do like to companion plant. Marigolds and nasturtiums are easy to grow and distract nasty blighters from eating so much of the veg. The allotments where I am have developed a communal area, which is filled with fruit trees and sown with wildflower mix, which has attracted a wealth of bees which benefits all of us.
                        I'm intending to grow more flowers next year - albeit ones which are edible. I'm interested in growing saffron crocusses, although not sure where to source them yet.
                        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                          I'm interested in growing saffron crocusses, although not sure where to source them yet.

Buy saffron crocus bulbs Crocus sativus: Delivery by Crocus.co.uk

they have a bulb sale on now

Comment

Thanks for the link Kevin I've bookmarked it to watch later.

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                            I'm intending to grow more flowers next year - albeit ones which are edible. I'm interested in growing saffron crocusses, although not sure where to source them yet.

Jon have a read here about saffron plus there's couple of links where to buy bulbs.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lts_77385.html
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                              I've watched the first 3 1/2 minutes and am much amused by the different plots he shows her.
                              I suspect people do really think they'll get a weed free bare soil plot with greenhouse and shed in situ.
                              Yep, the first 3 minutes capture the real "Allotment Challenge" for many of us - not the acidity of our cordials, the crunchiness of our chutneys or the height and balance of our floral display.
                              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Okay, having watched 5 episodes on the spin I'm going to have to stop now and do something. Decent series though, I see from the credits it was created for ITV West about 10 years ago.
                                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X