Carrots question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Shouldn't make any difference to watering��, that's the point of mesh, let's water in but not insects and birds ��
    I understand that but when there is a lot of lush top growth I find overhead watering just collapses the carrot leaves and they get into a real tangle, so i prefer to water under the carrots by pushing the hose along the soil . That involves removing the net. Not a problem but it would be nice not to have another hassle.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      I understand that but when there is a lot of lush top growth I find overhead watering just collapses the carrot leaves and they get into a real tangle, so i prefer to water under the carrots by pushing the hose along the soil . That involves removing the net. Not a problem but it would be nice not to have another hassle.
      Ah, see what you mean. Haven't ever watered my carrots (I grow in the ground rather than pots so no need) except on sowing so not seen this problem.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ah, see what you mean. Haven't ever watered my carrots (I grow in the ground rather than pots so no need) except on sowing so not seen this problem.
        Mine are in deep raised beds, deep in the hope the carrots will be very very long. Thats not going to happen though But i have had to water them quite a few times recently (or I felt I should but probably didnt need to).
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Mine are in deep raised beds, deep in the hope the carrots will be very very long. Thats not going to happen though But i have had to water them quite a few times recently (or I felt I should but probably didnt need to).
          Carrots get longer in dry conditions as the tap route goes down to search for moisture. Well that's what seems to happen in my experience, not sure if it's scientific but a good excuse not to water

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

ps. I made Mrs Mountjoy up!
            I know you did. But I know who she is

i prefer to water under the carrots by pushing the hose along the soil . That involves removing the net.
            Worth putting a leaky hose along the row(s) under the net and watering with that perhaps? Probably a daft idea if you only have a few feet of Carrots. I'm with you on watering along-the-row though

i have had to water them quite a few times recently (or I felt I should but probably didnt need to).
            Carrots get longer in dry conditions as the tap route goes down to search for moisture. Well that's what seems to happen in my experience, not sure if it's scientific but a good excuse not to water
            I read somewhere that we should water carrots (in dry periods). Trying to think what the heck the reason was now, but it seemed compelling when I read it! If someone could remind me what day of the week it is, what I had for breakfast and what my name is I'll devote my energies to remembering what the reason fro watering carrots was!!
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ah ... what I did manage to remember was that my browser has a history

"Proper watering can make a difference. Carrots need 2cm of water from rainfall each week during the growing season. Soaking well when watering helps to promote good root development"
              Carrot Growing - In depth guide to growing carrots fly

Maybe not as compelling as I thought that I had remembered!
              Last edited by Kristen; 23-09-2014, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                "Proper watering can make a difference. Carrots need 2cm of water from rainfall each week during the growing season. Soaking well when watering helps to promote good root development"
                Hmmm not convinced but perhaps it means that we get more water than I think (can't remember the last time it rained). I do give a really good watering when I sow but then that's it. Our soil is quite silty (although thankfully pretty much stone free) but does retain a level of water so can see it being more of a problem in sandy soil. Actually now I think about it I always sow an early crop in the tunnel in February. A few years ago I didn't realise that the soaker hose spur that fed that bed was turned off so no watering was occurring at all and discovered that the ball type (can't remember variety) carrots and gone a sort of oval shape and were a lot deeper than normal, assumed it was seeking water. Tasted great though and to be honest was easier to peel than the round shape it should have been

Comment

not convinced
                  Fair enough - the advice was from a sample-size of ONE !! so I googled:

"Drought resistant, carrots like hot weather, seldom needing water. If they start wilting, give a thorough soaking of water every 10-14 days."
                  RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...tables/carrots

"Caring for your carrots
                  Watering should be kept to a minimum once seedlings have emerged - only water when the soil is dry
                  "
                  T&M How to Grow Carrots | Thompson & Morgan

"The plants need little other attention during their growth period, although the plants should be kept well watered - too little water results in coarse, woody roots."

BBC Gardening BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing carrots

So that's now two-all

Comment

Fair enough - the advice was from a sample-size of ONE !! so I googled:

"Drought resistant, carrots like hot weather, seldom needing water. If they start wilting, give a thorough soaking of water every 10-14 days."
                    RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...tables/carrots

"Caring for your carrots
                    Watering should be kept to a minimum once seedlings have emerged - only water when the soil is dry
                    "
                    T&M How to Grow Carrots | Thompson & Morgan

"The plants need little other attention during their growth period, although the plants should be kept well watered - too little water results in coarse, woody roots."

BBC Gardening BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing carrots

So that's now two-all
                    I think that the upshot of this is that if your carrots don't work you can find something on which to blame it

Comment

My carrots have never done much using either method. Oh bugger!

Comment

Looking at the raised bed I grow them in, it might be a little too shallow which is causing the carrots to be on the short side. However, they do seem to have taken a long time to develop even into the small carrots they are.

Comment

Ever year I intend to mesh my Parsnips too, to stop the fly harbouring there, but in part because I think that fly damage to Parsnips may be causing the canker that I get. I'll add it to next year's resolution list ... again!
                          I've noticed that too. Carrot root fly and canker on my 'snips seems to run hand in hand here and it makes a big difference when the parsnips are covered, roots are clean with no damage - lovely.
                          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X