No announcement yet.

Perennial Tomato Experiment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think the Tamarillo is a tomato.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• It's not a Tamarillo Mally, it's EPCOT's guinness world record holder 32,000 yield, 15 month old BEAST Most tomatoes harvested from one plant in one year | Guinness World Records

A true tomato, lycopersicum vs tamarillo Solanum Betaceum, though I think they're some kind of Chinese bred F1 mixed with hydroponic techniques and not pruning side shoots (Since it's in a heated greenhouse, the 15 months will have been pure aggressive growing) and it seems supporting them on a trellis causes some stress so the fruit yield goes up too, since most of EPCOT's stuff is grown suspended in some way, not sure if it's beneficial or just for show purposes...

I WANNA OWN A TOMATO LIKE THAT SO MUCH plz
      Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

• Apologies, I was going by the pic you posted:

Crops In Pots: July 2013
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• My Crimson Crush is still growing and I even ate a small tomato yesterday!

I'll give it a prune to get some cuttings when the weather warms up a bit

Comment

• Nice one Thelma, have you taken any armpits?

Comment

• No, not yet. Apart from very occasional watering, I've been ignoring it Ha Ha!

It has got one small shoot lower down, that I'm eyeing up...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Apologies, I was going by the pic you posted:

Crops In Pots: July 2013
                I'm unreliable at sourcing usually..

However, THIS ONE is deff EPCOT's tomato:

Attached Files
                Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                  No, not yet. Apart from very occasional watering, I've been ignoring it Ha Ha!

It has got one small shoot lower down, that I'm eyeing up...........
                  Maybe time to give it a tonic..........................without the Gin...........

Comment

• I'd just like to say a big thank you to my surrogate plant that was overwintered, although it is still going strong, it has so far given me around a dozen plants which have rooted & are now in pots in the greenhouse. I may have to do it again this year as it is deffo worth it.

Comment

• Well done Bigmally, mine just withered away but I will try again in the Autumn.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Deffo inspired me to have a crack at the end of this season BM, nice one.
                        Last edited by jackarmy; 11-04-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• What sort of size / strength are they BM?
                          I recall some other place had people trying to overwinter/armpit crimson crush because of the expense of seeds/plants but most seemed to have no luck. Put me off, but I might give it a go this year.
                          Balders
                          sigpic
                          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• I nipped the armpits off at around 3", put them in a glass of water to root then potted them on in MPC, they are all around 6" now so am quite pleased. The surrogate is approx 18" tall as I kept using the growing tip as an armpit then letting the new one take on the leader. I may put it in the ground to see how it fairs but wouldn't be surprised if it's burnt itself out.
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 12-04-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• This completely failed for me this last year - due to the very wet winter my standalone garage was far too damp. I'll give it a go this year as well though, as nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by cristalfiona View Post
                                This completely failed for me this last year - due to the very wet winter my standalone garage was far too damp. I'll give it a go this year as well though, as nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
                                Mine's been indoors since last year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X