No announcement yet.

Spring onions still small months on

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice Marb, how much sun does it get?
    He-Pep!

Comment

In high summer it gets it mid-late afternoon so limited. I was thinking of moving it to the area (which is a lot smaller) where my blackcurrant/gooseberrys grow as it gets a bit more sun. Unfortunately the seating area has the best time.

Comment

With only a few hours of sunlight, I can't see any veg growing really vigorously, unfortunately. And weak plants are more susceptible to pests... do you have allotments nearby that you could apply for?
        He-Pep!

Comment

This is the layout. The pond is to the left and raised bed right (out of shot)
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
            With only a few hours of sunlight, I can't see any veg growing really vigorously, unfortunately. And weak plants are more susceptible to pests... do you have allotments nearby that you could apply for?
            How many hours does it need ? There are allotments but I would rather stay at home and grow privately. Waiting list is long too.

Comment

I'm no expert, Marb, but as far as I can tell most veg need as much sun as they can get - nearly all seed packets seem to say to plant in 'full sun', which I presume means at least 5 or 6 hours, preferably in the middle of the day when the sun is strongest.

Your garden looks like a great place to relax and get away from it all, why not dedicate it to that? Trying to grow veg where they are unlikely to thrive can only bring disappointment - and an allotment can be as social or private as you choose, if you prefer to keep yourself to yourself, no-one will bother you, believe me. I would put your name on the waiting list, and in the meantime, read up on which veg can be grown without a lot of sunshine. Others on the vine may have some suggestions?
              He-Pep!

Comment

This was in 2010 when I tried the raised bed in the center of the garden (in front of where bench is now)
                Attached Files

Comment

Marb! B@gger the onions..with a garden looking like that I'd be sat in it all day with a glass of wine in my hand! It's lovely!
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 10-09-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Onions really need a sunny open space with good drainage, plenty of air flow around the plant. If they are sited in damp soil with shadier conditions they are more likely prone to disease. Onions are cheap as chips in the supermarkets. Try something that will grow in your garden. Add a little more nourishment on your beds, well rotted manure, organic fertiliser (anything to give you a helping hand!) and perhaps trying some different crops that can cope with a little shade you will be well away. Your flowers are coping!

http://www.gardeningchannel.com/shad...se-10-options/

Comment

Gosh, you have beautiful garden. From your posts, that I have read, I got the impression that your garden was a barren wasteland. It's gorgeous!

Comment

Well here I am almost a year later and the same plants in the soil are smaller, some about the same size. Surely this isn't right ? How on earth do you grow spring onions successfully ? Tried container and soil. Both with poor results.

Comment

Love your garden Marb. Like Scarlet says stuff the onions, just enjoy. I have only ever once got decent spring onions, as for red varieties that was just ridiculous. i grow everlasting onions now as they tend to be more forgiving. I don't think they would be very good in your situation as it sounds like you need to work with shade tolerant plants - lots of leafy greens.
                          Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Well, the few spring onions that survived I have harvested and they are exactly the same size months on again. I had them in organic root veg compost in a long tom pot. Absolutley no idea why such a pathetic harvest when I sowed so many.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. At least aesthetically it is ok

Comment

Re spring onions. I took some ones advice on here. I use MPC damp but not wet, sprinkle a few seeds in a 3 inch pot and cover with about 10mm of compost. I usually do about 4 pots every two weeks. When they have germinated and not all do I let them get to about 50mm high and transplant to a 150 wide x 150mm deep x 600mm long container filled with MPC, I will get 8 small pots in the trough.

To prevent root disturbance I dig in 3 inch pots where they are going to go as a mould, after 6 weeks they are fed fortnightly with Miracle Gro they reach a useful size in about 12 weeks. For two people I find this keeps us in onions through out the season.
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X