Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leek gone to seed - can they be used for anything?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
    >can they be used for anything?
    You can also let them go to seed, save them plus some other seeds and participate in
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...cle_76488.html
    blitz them in a blender and make leek and potato soup, freeze it til winter and then use with slices of cottage loaf, a simple but lovely meal and it cost pennies.....

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
      Did you sow under heat and move to cool conditions immediately they had germinated?
      Can't remember to be honest! I think they were germinated in a heated prop, taken off the heat but left in the house for a couple of weeks, and then pricked out into a larger pot and put in the cold frame down the allotment, where they sat growing on until June, when i planted them out.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Val Bourne from a magazine for people aged over 50 years says:

"Varieties
        Choose a good F1 variety - the seeds germinate better. Avoid the old varieties like Musselburgh - they are full of cellulose and tough to eat and to digest.

‘Carlton’ AGM
        An earlier F1 variety producing mid to dark-green flags, but ‘Carlton’ bolts more easily than some - so not for dry gardens."

Maybe dry conditions were more to blame than my cool, dark period theory???
        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
        Leave Rotten Fruit.
        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
          Choose a good F1 variety - the seeds germinate better. Avoid the old varieties like Musselburgh - they are full of cellulose and tough to eat and to digest.
          Don't find F1s germinate better than OP types at all so would fundamentally disagree with that advice, especially as you can't then save the seeds. Never found a problem with Musselburgh either, not growing them this year but they're a favourite with loads of people I know.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Musselburgh here! Never had a problem...and I avoid most F1 varieties. I like to save and dow my own seed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X