X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also just seen
    Best Cherry Tomatoes - Sunset
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I love Sungold as well. They are on the "for the forseeable future" list despite the cost of the seeds and my natural inclination to grow from saved seeds (as any fule kno if you save Sungold seeds you won't get Sungold in the next generation of plants).

I also grow Galina from Real Seeds, a large yellow potato leaved cherry. Not nearly as sweet but still very tasty. I have found them earlier and more prolific than Sungold. And they look so pretty with the deep orange Sungolds and some red tomatoes chopped up in a salad. Or I have the Galina for main course and the Sungolds for pudding :^)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        One last question on Sungold.
        I know they are sweet but I think they have a nice, slightly "spicy" back taste.

Anyone else noticed this ?
        Thanks
        Jimmy
        No, they just taste a bit sickly sweet to me and not at all tomatoey (or however you spell that....), give me a more acidic one every time, much prefer the more old fashioned taste

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I adore Sungold. Trying chocolate cherry this year too, but not yet had one ripe enough to eat, although I have picked 4 which are in the house ripening steadily. Already picked 8 punnets of Sungold from 4 plants planted at the same time as the chocolate cherry. Enough said.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Tried sungold a few years back. And I did like them, but I think rosada is the supreme for me

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              Also just seen
              Best Cherry Tomatoes - Sunset
              Jimmy
              Sun Sugar F1 are gorgeous, very similar to Sungold and sometimes hard to tell them apart. I've grown both side by side the last 3 years trying to decide which one I like best! They both have those lovely spicy scented leaves and sweet tangy fruit.

If you are interested in other sweet cherries, I tried Sweet Aperitif this year, it is very good, productive and yes very sweet. Other stand out sweet reds for me are Suncherry F1 and Floridity F1. Rosada F1 is very good but overall I like Floridity that little bit better.

Another delicious sweet one is Coyote a yellow with a distinctive taste, better still it's open pollinated so will come true from saved seed.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X