A recommendation for 2015

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    I prefer Moonlight, I find the skins a bit rough on Firestorm - although it easier to germinate than Moonlight.

All the white seeded beans are a pain for germination IMO
    That's interesting, I tried some moonlight last year that I received in a swap. None of them germinated and I assumed that they were just dud seeds. I've always just saved what I've grown and haven't bought any for years. Last year though I didn't manage to save any so I tried Scarlet emperor (again from a swap) I'm not sure whether it's the weather, lack of pollination but I've got long flower stalks with all the flowers dropped, beans small and shrivelled. I've had enough to keep us going, eat them several times a week but I will be trying something else next year......

Comment

I grow Scarlet emperor every year from I get a a good tasty crop I wonder if its because the seeds are saved from the original ones I bought 7 year ago and have got used to my growing conditions.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Bren, I think they get better the longer you save seed. I could kick myself for letting my last lot go last year. I was very busy with the kids and my OH thought he would help, took all the vines down and put them in a huge compost area. When I realised, I scrabbled through it but they were all wet and soggy!
        This really has been my worst crop of runners for years

Comment

I grow from self saved too, but mine are probably mongrels now, as I started with just Scarlet Emperor, then some White Lady with them one year (from VSP), plus a few unnamed beans bought reduced from the GC to fill in a couple of spaces, (which gave me beans well over 18 inches long, whatever they were). So now I suppose my saved seeds are a cross of all three...

For some reason I assumed Firestorm must be an F1 cross, so haven't bothered with it, but if you can save seeds, definitely worth a go then.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

I to have a few moonlight this year,also some white lady,not sure what is which,as they both look the same,they taste lovely,were slow to take off,they are currently going well,when others appear to be going over,but has been a funny old year again,maybe a few fire storm to start the season away,but pick them whilst still small,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I'm growing Stardust, which is supposed to be an imroved version of Moonlight. Its a white seeded, white flowered variety. Germination was rather erratic and the first few flowers didn't set, but in general I am pleased enough with them. the beans are nice nad straight and long without becoming tough, and so far they are living up to their billing as "stringless". I can't compare them with others as I don't normally grow runner beans and this is my first year with them for a very long time.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

i noticed yesterday at the allotment that the bees were swarming all over the white flowered beans and bypassing the red flowers. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X