No announcement yet.

Asparagus help needed please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killers are standing water or boggy ground .

We get lots of rain: mine are planted at the edge of a path.. and the edge of garden: in both cases there is a 20cm drop in soil level so surplus water drains off. I mulch heavily with composted twig shreddings and compost. Mine were grown from seed 3 years ago : I have 30 plants and growing nicely..

Comment

What sort of soil have you got Shirl? As Madasafish say bed needs to be well drained. I'm working on pix but having probs with loading disk.

Comment

I am extremely fortunate and have lovely rich loam. Doesn't get boggy and doesn't go hard. Do have trouble with flea beatle but that is about it.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thought I would just give an update on my aparagus bed.

I just went to have a look and I have five spears growing!! One each for 5 of the six crowns planted. This should teach me not to look at the bed every day - they appeared when I had given up hope!

Thank you to everyone for encouraging me to wait patiently!!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Great news, so it just goes to show a watched asparagus never sprouts.

Comment

hello all, just to say i have dug up lawn just for my 3 little crowns dug in compost and chicken pellets watered the soil very very well and now I'm on the wait do you think my preparation was OK being as in new to all this outside stuff, the nearest i used to get was playing on the PC with the window open thanks for any advice
              Last edited by nosferato; 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I can't advise what to expect since I am learning myself. Good luck with it though.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

>nosferato
                  Patience for a year. You may /will egt limited growth this year - keep watering in hot and dry spells so soil is DAMP.. not waterlogged.

Comment

im looking forward to the end result

even now i have signs of life

should i let it do what it wants for the first year IE leave it alone or will i need to cut it back when the Fern shows thank you for any help this is a fantastic site

Comment

I think we cut the ferns back once they go yellow. Sure the experts will be along to tell us soon.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

I leave mine until autumn, when they start to go yellow an dthen die off. I only cut back when growth is dead.

Comment

thank you madasafish

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X