No announcement yet.

An aubergine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green eyed monster here, I've only tried once and I didn't get any fruit but after reading your post I so wanna try again next year. I've still got seeds from 2012 and can't bear to throw them away, has anyone any experience of using old aubergine seeds?
    Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

I might have to go all out next year a try a few varieties in the hopes I'll get decent results.
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I had a space in a grow bed in the greenhouse at my friend's house, so I bought an aubergine plant which already had flower buds. Planted it in the sun, watered regularly, first flower set. Aubergine developed to size of an egg, then suddenly the whole plant wilted and went yellow. There was another flower open at the time. It is now thoroughly dead

No idea what went wrong.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Here's a couple of my plants - the one at the back has a fruit!

Attached Files
          He-Pep!

Comment

I thought that was a slug, OP!

Comment

For my next trick I will attempt to pass off a snail as an onion, and a pigeon as a kohlrabi.
              Garden Grower
              Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                I really find it hard to get the deB's to germinate as they need very high temperatures which I cannot get early on in the year in my house.
                Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                I also tried 'De Barbentine' or whatever and had zero germination.
                Interesting, that's the type I grow and I've never had any germination problems, usually 100% in fact. All I do is sow individually in multipurpose compost in little newspaper pots in late January. Germinate in a heated propagator (only a basic one, too tight to buy an adjustable one) and kept slightly moist. Germination happens within about 10 days then they're whipped out the propagator and grown on on the utility room window ledge. Gradually potted on as normal.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  I thought that was a slug, OP!
                  You're not undermining Jacob's achievement are you?
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Interesting, that's the type I grow and I've never had any germination problems, usually 100% in fact. All I do is sow individually in multipurpose compost in little newspaper pots in late January. Germinate in a heated propagator (only a basic one, too tight to buy an adjustable one) and kept slightly moist. Germination happens within about 10 days then they're whipped out the propagator and grown on on the utility room window ledge. Gradually potted on as normal.
                    You are a gardening guru, Alison. They know they have to behave for you. In fairness they do come with a warning that they need a lot of heat and patience.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

You're not undermining Jacob's achievement are you?
                      Of course not!

On my phone it is a small, low res picture. At first glance it doesn't look like an aub. The top looks like it has antennae

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
                      Last edited by chris; 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

You are a gardening guru, Alison. They know they have to behave for you. In fairness they do come with a warning that they need a lot of heat and patience.
                        Don't tell people but the guru thing just means I post a lot, nothing to do with content of post . Sounds like my basic propagator gives the ideal temp by luck rather than design. What I didn't mention though is that my really healthy plants got attacked badly by slugs on planting out and are only just recovered - happened the day after I'd given away my spares......

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          Of course not!

On my phone it is a small, low res picture. At first glance it doesn't look like an aub. The top looks like it has antennae
                          All the xcuses!
                          Last edited by marchogaeth; 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X