No announcement yet.

Sweetcorn problem?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update, The lady flowers have finaly got their best nighty on and shown some silks. I'll say this though; if I hadn't cut the initial greenery back so that the silks didn't have another 4 inches of green to emerge from , most of the pollen would have gone by now. I think I over did the Nitrogen personally.....
    To pollonate, I fold and A4 sheet of paper in half and then fold over one edge to form a cup. I then shake the pollen into the cupped paper and hand sprinkle this over the silks, working it through. I do this twice a day untill the pollens stops, focusing on the newly emerged silks ( there's always a few coming through) I aslo give em shake as I pass for smoke. When all pollen stops I trip the tassles and bung those on top of the silks as well.
    It's the only way to be sure...
    Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 19-07-2014, 07:19 PM.
    Hussar!

Comment

Really pleased for you, alls well thar ends well. You certainly made sure they got fertilised lol
      Nannys make memories

Comment

My sweetcorn are not even waist high yet - mine are at home, but down on the allotment, most other people's are knee high to waist high - although a couple of people have got theirs to 6ft+ already .... totally jealous .....
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
          My sweetcorn are not even waist high yet - mine are at home, but down on the allotment, most other people's are knee high to waist high - although a couple of people have got theirs to 6ft+ already .... totally jealous .....
          Mine are at home as well, four in 60ltr pot and I have 7 pots. I've found that once they're waist high, they sort of telescope out an go from two feet to six in under a week. Still plenty of summer left so hang in there, I've found modern F1 stains don't care much if it's sunny as long as the temperature doesn't go into single figures you'll be fine.
          Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 21-07-2014, 09:50 PM.
          Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
            Really pleased for you, alls well thar ends well. You certainly made sure they got fertilised lol
            Cheers Nan, I did! I hate it when you get a decent sized cob that's only half filled. Gotta get that pollen on all the silks to be sure.
            Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 20-07-2014, 10:57 AM.
            Hussar!

Comment

My sweetcorn dont seem to want to go past 3ft, let alone getting to anywhere near 6, can anyone reccomend a decent tall maincrop variety to grow?, i only really grow it for the plants anyway as i dont like corn, but they are boooring when so short (see pic)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by George.m View Post
                My sweetcorn dont seem to want to go past 3ft, let alone getting to anywhere near 6, can anyone reccomend a decent tall maincrop variety to grow?, i only really grow it for the plants anyway as i dont like corn, but they are boooring when so short (see pic)
                Don't like sweetcorn! whatever next!

I'd do some of that ornamental Corn like Strawberry pop. I grow Sundance which is dwarf early, so not much good for your needs.
                Hussar!

Comment

Sweetcorn is the devil's food, totally horrible. I only grow it for OH but I think it knows and it's never that good a crop

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X