• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhubarb has gotta be in the list I reckon
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Rocket - sow it once and let some run to seed and you'll have it coming up there for ever.

Comment

Daubenton's kale. It can be can picked 365 days a year, plants last 5-7 years and a snapped off stem/branch plonked in the soil makes a new plant. We use it for all usual kale recipes plus as a substitute for crispy fried seaweed and vine leaves for dolmades. Just trimmed back my three plants which collectively stand at about five feet tall and covered an area about ten foot diameter.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Ramsons! It's perenial, and you can use the leaves, stems, flowers and bulbs

Comment

Rhubarb: you plant it, you've got it and it produces for ages.

Rocket: this has to be the single best value for money crop in the garden. Get it established and that's salad leaves for ever.

Jerusalem artichokes: on the basis that we had some much of these a few years ago we've gone off them. We've got a big patch of them which I'm politely ignoring.
            Garden Grower
            Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Ooh Mr Bones! That's given me some great recipe ideas!
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

For me, I think kale, spinach and Swiss chard are brilliant for their longevity! I'll also agree with courgettes. Last year I didn't do runner beans (I have a few this year), but my French beans just went on and on giving.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Runner beans for me too. I'd also say Defender corgette ( they just keep producing masses of fruit) I also have a lollo rosso lettuce which I've been cutting and coming again for about 4 months now! It looks like a lettuce on a two foot stick!
                  Hussar!

Comment

My Defender isn't cropping particularly heavily, only had about 3 courgettes off it so far as opposed to 9 or 10 from the Parador sat right next to it. Hopefully it just hasn't properly got going yet...
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Last year I would have said courgettes, but since I started to grow cherry tomatoes (Vilma) this year I keep finding masses of them. I must be picking at least a bowlful every couple of days, and this off only five or six plants. And what a lovely flavour and texture they have!

Comment

Runner beans and perpetual spinach, defo, and I'd like to add globe artichokes. My plants seem to go on producing heads for ages, and they are absolutely delicious.

Sweet peas, for flowers - can't believe how many we are getting this year.

Never heard of Daubenton's kale, Mr B. Am getting interested in perennial veg so am just off to look it up on tinternet.
                        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

perpetual spinach, a cut and come again romaine type lettuce (not sure of the name), Venus courgettes (a bush type and gives an average of 15 courgettes per plant), runner beans and wild rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Undercover it's got to be the good old Tomato & outside I'd go for the spud.
                            my tomato being trained along the roof of the greenhouse now has 10 trusses producing and possibly one or two more to come, the roots seem to be taking about a gallon of water per day in its 12ins tub(with a tray underneath to hold the water that drains thru and is then sucked back up) and the fruits all look like they will be goodsized when ripe so it will be loads of pasta sauce again for those winter nights..

Comment

I have just been out watering the toms and the plants from my own saved seed seem to have crossed as the black Russian toms are as big as the olympe(largest tom last year was 2lb 7oz) so it looks like I have got an unexpected bonus, instead of being the size of a fairly average apple I have 7 so far the size of grapefruit, I had to check the attached label to make sure I had the right toms as they were germinated in different propagators, as they are still green I will be watching to see if I can beat last years best....who's a happy boy then?......

Comment

Lucky boy!!!

French beans are doing very well for me this year had stacks of them already! (runners, not so as the flowers are dropping!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X