Need some help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
    Could it be damage from water on the leaves and the sun scorching them? Are any of them turning brown?
    No the leaves are still green
    Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Those toms in the first photo look wilted. Are you watering enough? They dry out quick in pots, the leaves with all the patches on look like where the leaves have dried up and the sun has scorched them?
      How often are you watering? Are you watering from the top or the bottom?
      I water everyday when the weather is warm and sunny. And when it's not I water every other day. I do not want to over water.

I am watering my tomatoes at the bottom near the stem.
      Carrie

Comment

Stick your finger in the pot or scrape away some of the earth on the top, is the compost wet enough below the surface? They look dried out to me

Comment

Well it is not mildew. As for curling leaves, this seems to be a feature of most tomatoes. You plant does look a bit ragged so as said before pay attention to feeding and watering.is it a bush type or a cordon type? if a cordon you haven been breaking off the side shoots I can see at least two main stems.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I'm tempted to agree with the feeding and watering. Mix up some liquid feed to the proportions shown on the bottle, and give the pot a very thorough soaking until it's running out of the drainage holes ..... it has got drainage holes, right? Then leave for 24 hours to see if it perks up.

If so it was hungry/thirsty, and do not water until next time it starts to go limp. You have now recalibrated the watering frequency baed on current weather conditions.

As to how much to use, water as much as you normally would and wait a minute or two, if it's not seeping out of the drainage holes then add more and wait a little longer. Repeat until exces is flowing out. This way you'll figure out how much the pot needs as well as how often. Obviously adjust according to weather conditions, and just be slightly ahead of it wilting when you water it in future. If you wait for it to wlt every time you'll have fruits splitting. In no time at all, you'll get the feel of the plants, and if you get used to the signs they give off, you'll be able to adjust the fluid input according to the growth and fruiting of them too. Individual plants can vary according to their own quirks of nature, and also the mix of compost .... even if they are all out of the same bag

Comment

Could it be sun scald? This is where toms are placed in direct sunlight without the being accustomed to it. You don't need water on the leaves although this will not help, I seem to remember something about the sap drying within the leaf itself but I am not to sure on that one.

As to them being limp etc. I think this is a different problem down to your watering and feeding regime.

I have just remembered that you transferred the plant out of the GH a couple of days ago that would fit in.
              Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 13-06-2014, 09:41 PM.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                Well it is not mildew. As for curling leaves, this seems to be a feature of most tomatoes. You plant does look a bit ragged so as said before pay attention to feeding and watering.is it a bush type or a cordon type? if a cordon you haven been breaking off the side shoots I can see at least two main stems.
                I am sorry I thought I had replied back.

It is a cordon type. I have been breaking off the side shoots.
                Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
                  I'm tempted to agree with the feeding and watering. Mix up some liquid feed to the proportions shown on the bottle, and give the pot a very thorough soaking until it's running out of the drainage holes ..... it has got drainage holes, right? Then leave for 24 hours to see if it perks up.

If so it was hungry/thirsty, and do not water until next time it starts to go limp. You have now recalibrated the watering frequency baed on current weather conditions.

As to how much to use, water as much as you normally would and wait a minute or two, if it's not seeping out of the drainage holes then add more and wait a little longer. Repeat until exces is flowing out. This way you'll figure out how much the pot needs as well as how often. Obviously adjust according to weather conditions, and just be slightly ahead of it wilting when you water it in future. If you wait for it to wlt every time you'll have fruits splitting. In no time at all, you'll get the feel of the plants, and if you get used to the signs they give off, you'll be able to adjust the fluid input according to the growth and fruiting of them too. Individual plants can vary according to their own quirks of nature, and also the mix of compost .... even if they are all out of the same bag
                  Yeah it has drainage holes. I usually water the bottom of the plant.
                  Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    Could it be sun scald? This is where toms are placed in direct sunlight without the being accustomed to it. You don't need water on the leaves although this will not help, I seem to remember something about the sap drying within the leaf itself but I am not to sure on that one.

As to them being limp etc. I think this is a different problem down to your watering and feeding regime.

I have just remembered that you transferred the plant out of the GH a couple of days ago that would fit in.
                    I don't think it could be sun scaled because I never water the leafs. I water at the base of the plant. I will give it a couple of more days and see how it goes. I feed the plant once a week.
                    Carrie

Comment

If the plants aren't getting enough water and the leaves are limp and dehydrated the sun will burn them, even if they haven't got water droplets on them. They just dry out.

Comment

Like I posted you don't need water on the leaves for this to happen. Up your feeding regime to twice a week at least that will help.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It looks like the neem oil did the courgette some good. It had powdery mildew so I sprayed it with a neem/water mix. Nothing ventured and all that. Here is a photo taken 5 minutes ago. There are some patches where the mildew was, that's it. Seems to have killed it/cleared it.

I hope this wasn't a fluke

Attached Files
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                          If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

That's good news must get myself some of that. Thanks for the update.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have given it a good feed a couple of days ago and the tomato plant now looks a lot better
                              Carrie

Comment

Found my 1st tomatoes growing on the plant

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                                Attached Files
                                Carrie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...