No announcement yet.

Harvesting garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust here too, pulled one yesterday to take a look and could really do with another 3 to 4 weeks

Comment

I dry some, freeze some and make lazy garlic too. With the lazy garlic I use oil and it's lovely when used in cooking/salad dressings.
      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
      If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

I prefer it made with oil Kitty but it doesn't keep very long... I don't want to poison anyone with botulism.

Comment

We go for the opposite way round and make Garlic oil, also makes lovely dressings with that pungent garlic flavour.

Comment

So we all have rust and everyones Garlic is a bit tired this year then? here's hoping we all get another few weeks of growth eh....
            Hussar!

Comment

Someone tell me about lazy garlic please, do you peel the cloves and do it whole or chop them up? In vinegar do you just pour it on cold or hot like pickled onions? doesn't the vinegar cause a nasty taste
              If you fry some with onions before making soup for instance.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Bill, I haven't made it yet but I read somewhere on here that you just put the peeled and trimmed cloves into the food processor, cover with white wine vinegar and blitz, store in a sterilised jar and use a fork or small strainer to scoop it out and the vinegar that comes out with it evaporates off when you cook it and doesn't affect the taste of what you're cooking. I'll put that to the test this year hopefully
                My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just peel, blitz until chopped up in the processor, fill up the jar and cover in white wine vinegar then use exactly as the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

^^^^ I do exactly the same as Alison.

Comment

How long does that last for?

Comment

Ages. I'm still using mine from last year. Stuff preserved in vinegar takes ages to go off if ever.

Comment

I just thought I'd put this up....pic of my giant garlic clove that I'm just about to cook with my tea! Its been stored now for nearly a year, hanging up in a cold stone out house. Still firm, just starting to grow some little roots at the base
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's huge.

Comment

I have small hands!

Comment

first 5 elephant garlic out today as I had run out at home still have 55 left in the ground but they will have to wait another 4 weeks I think as they are still very green

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                                Attached Files
                                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X