Garlic looking rough

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining that they haven't bulbed up yet, its the fact they are going yellow that is the disturbing thing. It is a truly wonderful thing to be able to access so many accomplished gardeners for advice.
    That's me out then

Comment

Mine are looking yellow and straggly, also set in November.

I used to grow garlic with no trouble, but for the last few years they've come to nothing.

Any other recommendations for boosting? (Like, I mean something I might have in the house?)
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I planted mine on the 12th December and they are also starting to look a little tired and going brown . . . pretty happy with them all the same

My allotment in pictures

Comment

Same here,noticed mine has the going over look,on pulling a bulb last week,it had started to split,some peeps on our site have pulled theirs up,i shall leave mine alone,and feed,what dilution do you use marchogaeth,will give also them some C pelets disolved in water,i recone they look yellowy on account of the hot weather last week,they think their time has come,if so watch out for seed head/scipes,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
            Mine are looking yellow and straggly, also set in November.

I used to grow garlic with no trouble, but for the last few years they've come to nothing.

Any other recommendations for boosting? (Like, I mean something I might have in the house?)
            Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
            Urine, Bill.
            Seriously, fresh it's just full of nitrogen, it will really boost the existing (green) leaves and help more grow.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Raptor I love your paths. Are they home made?

Also, if this were cabbage plants with the first leaves dying off after 5 months growth and showing a bit of wear and tear after the storms we wouldn't worry, we'd just give them a bit of a feed.
              Last edited by marchogaeth; 28-05-2014, 02:36 PM.
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I feel guilty, mine were planted last November and look just how they should at this time of year.
                I always plant them in homemade compost and give them some growmore at the beginning of April. Other than water when dry, which has happened once this year so far, don't do anything else 'til I harvest them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole123 View Post
                  I feel guilty, mine were planted last November and look just how they should at this time of year.
                  I always plant them in homemade compost and give them some growmore at the beginning of April. Other than water when dry, which has happened once this year so far, don't do anything else 'til I harvest them.
                  Yes well you need beating around the head with them (jealous of Devon)
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                    Yes well you need beating around the head with them (jealous of Devon)
                    But they cant grow grockels Bill

Comment

I don't like to boast but my garlic is absolutely huge this year. Planted in November and fed with chicken pellets and growmore.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                        Raptor I love your paths. Are they home made?
                        Thank you no not home made just an inspired idea from a local builders merchant . . . they are concrete gravel boards that I got for half price as they were all cracked as you can see they are ideal for the job I had in mind.
                        My allotment in pictures

Comment

When I started this thread it was because my garlic was looking yellow and rough prematurely, Well I fed them but it seemed to have made no difference. What is puzzling me though is after having a quick furtle none of them have split, just whole bulbs like onions. So will they be useable if they don't split? or is there still time for them to split? they were planted last November.
                          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I have a few like that too Bill, they are definately usable. I put it down to the mild winter, garlic need a cold period to clove up, so I'm told. The ones that have cloved up are brilliant and I'll be saving the best of them for planting again in October
                            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've pulled up all my garlic,rusty like everyone else's,gloves are small,but fine, I'm just using it, some is drying, hanging in the kitchen, 'looking scary, fending off whatever it's supposed to fend off'. Been in the ground a looooong time.
                              DottyR

Comment

Bill, I have seen supermarkets giving a fancy title to and selling garlic like yours. You are beating them at their own game
                                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                                If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X