No announcement yet.

Good outdoor tom varieties.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A piece of copper wire pushed through the base of the stem will help to ward off blight and chopped nettles in the planting hole will give them a boost.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Any idea why Garden pearl and other dederminate cherry toms don't seem to get blight? I've always grown them outside and they never have any trouble where as larger indeterminate Toms always seem to get it just as they getting good?
      Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        A piece of copper wire pushed through the base of the stem will help to ward off blight and chopped nettles in the planting hole will give them a boost.
        Sounds like Witch craft!

That being said I've given my toms and potatoes a spray of asprin as this is claimed to "vaccinate" against blight. have to it twice a month so we'll see how it works out.
        Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 22-05-2014, 05:42 PM.
        Hussar!

Comment

grow sungold and compare the taste to moneymaker (or any other tomato)

you will never plant moneymaker again

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
            Any idea why Garden pearl and other dederminate cherry toms don't seem to get blight? I've always grown them outside and they never have any trouble where as larger indeterminate Toms always seem to get it just as they getting good?
            I'm only guessing here but could it be because the cherries are earlier croppers thereby evading blight.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
              grow sungold and compare the taste to moneymaker (or any other tomato)

you will never plant moneymaker again
              I've grown lots of varieties which are supposed to be tastier than moneymaker, but I don't find them so much better. I've grown sungold and didn't rate them enough to grow then again. Also tried golden sunrise to add some yellow to the mix. Didn't rate them either. The best tasted ones I've ever grown are gardeners delight. They must just suit my personal taste buds.

Comment

I grow "black Russian" and "subarctic plenty" outside and the inside ones have to include "olympe", I try any others that take my fancy but those 3 taste really good...this years newbie is "Chinese blue" and am waiting to see what it tastes like, it took over 4 weeks to arrive so I hope it was worth it...
                Last edited by BUFFS; 23-05-2014, 02:27 PM.

Comment

i've got tumbling tom and garden pearl, in hanging baskets, one of each inside and one of each outside. So far the tumbling tom both inside and out are doing much much better.

Comment

I have some black krim to try out side down the allotment but to be honest when the blight arrives I don't fancy there chances

Comment

Some people myself included can be to quick to harvest toms, after all we are just waiting for that extra taste. Take Sungold for instance when it first turns yellow it is not fully ripe and tastes insipid. Leave it a few more days and it goes a dark orange and tastes totally different.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brownfingers View Post
                        I've grown lots of varieties which are supposed to be tastier than moneymaker, but I don't find them so much better. I've grown sungold and didn't rate them enough to grow then again. Also tried golden sunrise to add some yellow to the mix. Didn't rate them either. The best tasted ones I've ever grown are gardeners delight. They must just suit my personal taste buds.
                        I suppose that it does boil down to personal taste .... some enjoy the sweeter varieties and some enjoy the more 'tart' varieties... My family and I eat loads of tomatoes, especially in salads, but we also enjoy the larger 'tarter' tasting toms (such as Brandywine) on sandwiches with cheese and fresh lettuce leaves

A tomato's sweetness is determined by its percent sugar and acidity. One tomato can have less sugar than a second yet taste sweeter because its acidity is lower than the second

here is a link that does a few comparisons ... (I will be trying the Park's Nectar tomatoes next year if I can find seed here in the UK):

Wayne Schmidt's Tomato Comparison Page

and here is a list of many tomatoes that were tested in a lab (scroll down to page 62 and 63)... :

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_f...osition=inline

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X