No announcement yet.

How big do chilli plants grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cayenne which overwintered from last year is now about 4 foot plus. It is in a 10 litre pot and got the roots cleaned off a bit and new compost in the pot earlier in the year after it started to flower again. I might try to overwinter it again this year to see what happens. It has loads of fruit on it now.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Height depends on variety and the size of pot you plant them into. Most chillies will fruit when still quite small. Last year I put three plants of each variety into ten inch pots. Plants grew around 2 feet tall (maybe a bit more) and fruited well. My friend has a huge greenhouse, put hers into really big pots, and they grew to nearly 4 foot tall. I did have the last laugh though, cos she didn't ventilate properly and she had quite a bit of damage from botrytis (grey mould). Seriously though, it's only friendly rivalry. I saw on several programmes last year that chillies now grow and fruit quite well outside in UK. I may have to try that with some of my surplus plants - I hate to throw them away.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        ...I might try to overwinter it again this year to see what happens...
        It is worth a try. Very possible but not sure to work.
        Some make it, some don't.
        I managed to overwinter an aji lemon this year.
        Gave me a great early start.
        Plant is big and fruits are ripening all over it:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianphotos/541185967/
        (some other allotment photos one there)

Comment

They are cracking chillies, unconcerned. It's my first year growing them so I'm determined to overwinter one or two as people seems to have a great start with some early fruits while I'm still waiting for a flower!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

In tropic chillies are grown as biennial, I remember my Mum's chillies, they produce year round till the end of the 2nd year ( some are parennial ) and the older they get the taller they are. Mum used to have chillies taller than 1.5 meter. As I am pretty new in veggies growing,this year I have grown some romanian wax chillie, got 2 tiny chillie hanging . Have tried Topepo rosso but slugs has eatem them up ( next year will try again ) and has germinated some 5 anaheim chillies 3 weeks ago ( I know it is a bit too late for that ) so will wait n see n hope for the best.

Momol
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Everything you want to know about growing chillies can be found at the link below, including how your fellow Grapes are getting on in the Big Jim competition.
              http://www.thechileman.org/bigjim.php

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                Everything you want to know about growing chillies can be found at the link below, including how your fellow Grapes are getting on in the Big Jim competition.
                http://www.thechileman.org/bigjim.php
                Thanks Alice, just what a chillie virgin needs!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One more link...
                  My 2007 chile pepper collection:
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianphotos/542718998/
                  hover over the plants to get variety names.

Comment

My big jim plants are about 10" high and I 've got a couple of fruits on them 2" long at the mo. Going to try overwintering a couple, just to see..

Kirsty
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Thanks Alice, just what a chillie virgin needs!
                      The mind boggles Snadger. Just when I think I've heard it all - up comes the next one.
                      But good luck with your chillies.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I planted my first chillis from seed in March this year. I am not sure I have the energy to do it again next year - they are really slow growing and now I have a small collection of plants about 3-4" high at most. I have a mix of Prairie Fire, Thai Hot and Orange Habanero as well as Lemondrop and I've stopped being able to tell which is which. I put them out in the cold frame in May and they've got bigger, but ... soooo slooooow! I'm an impatient gardener.

vegwomble

Comment

Veggiewomble,
                          thats usually the way with chilli peppers but when they take off they will be fine. There are some however which are very slow growing. have a look at the chileman .org site, it gives a good bit of information on the different types and if they are quick or slow growing. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dan1979 View Post
                            Mine has two chillies growing at approx 12 inches high

*had to edit that as I was grossly exaggerating when going from memory!
                            So there about 6" then
                            Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

This is my first year growing chillies I did sow a lot, as I was unsure of how well they would do now I have 58 plants all doing quite well tallest is around 2 feet.

Comment

my tallest is jo's long, currently around 3 ft high.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X