No announcement yet.

Cover your soil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spemt 2 hrs shredding yesterday and made 6 barrow full of wood chipping mulch.
    Now spread around one part of the potager.
    Looking forward to seeing the difference!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I was given a large quantity of soft woodchippings which I've used as a mulch. I suppose it has helped suppress the weeds a bit, and it will probably help the structure of my heavy clay soil as it works its way in.

It has, however, encouraged the local cats to use my plot as a litter tray and scratch up my transplanted parsnip seedlings.

I am not best pleased.

Comment

Yea cats are a major problem i have 3 of the little gits what i have done is fence all growing beds with netting to stop them

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I always cover my soil with a mulch, I hate weeding! But if my brassicas aren't netted they get decimated by caterpillars. I've never heard of a caterpillar drowning on a leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Roeder1969 View Post
            Alison when a plant is healthy and hydrated well a caterpillar when hatched will sink its teeth into the leaf as it does this because of the water content the leaf will excrete liquid making it difficult for the bug to eat hence many of them will drown. Bugs are only interested in fibrous material not water therefore only minimal damage will be seen on ur leaves of brassicas.
            Also you have natural predators like wasps that love to take them to their nests
            I agree wholeheartedly about strong plants being able to shake off predator attack, grow a lot of mine to a reasonable size before planting out for that very reason. Am struggling rather more though with the comment about them drowning, it's not a theory I've heard before and google isn't helping - any chance of some more information about this?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X