Question about herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about herbs

I've sowed some coriander seeds and parsley seeds outside in a 20cm pot. I followed the spacing on the packet, so should only be able to fit one of each plant in the pot. I sowed 2 of each seed, in case one didn't germinate. I have also sowed some annual thyme indoors in a 1 inch module.

My question is whether or not I should have sowed more seeds than I did. The coriander is only just starting to germinate (no sign of the parsley yet) and the thyme is tiny! Do they take long to grow into big plants, or should I have sowed more seeds than I did, i.e. had more than one of each plant in the 20cm pot?

Thanks!

I would have sown more seed. Parsley is an erratic germinator and needs widely differing temperatures to germinate. Water the drills with very hot water before sowing, that speeds it up. Coriander, think of the pots you can buy in the supermarket. Lots of seed in there. You can always weed out both of them if you have too many plants. Use the coriander as leaf and let a couple go to seed. Thyme takes quite a long time to make a decent plant for cutting, about two years. Sow several seeds in a pot and you will get some to cut much quicker.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

That's really helpful, thank you! I will get sowing :-)

Comment

I agree, I would add that it's a good idea to sow coriander every few weeks as it bolts quite quickly, I usually get two cuttings from it then let it go to seed. I freeze what I can't use fresh.
        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Once you've got it to germinate, parsley will provide for about a year, until it bolts. Three plants would be a pretty good supply, depending on how much you like parsley.

Coriander... Two approaches. Sow in pots regularly, it'll give you a nice crop (supermarket style) and will then bolt. I like coriander and eat a lot and sow a pot with 10-15 seeds every couple of weeks. Alternatively grow it outside. You'll get bigger plants and they'll take longer to bolt (but they will do eventually), but you need them 6-8" apart.
          Garden Grower
          Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've just sowed some more of both and will thin out if necessary, they are both outside.

Comment

Soak the parsley seeds in water overnight before sowing. They'll germinate better.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
                I... should only be able to fit one of each plant in the pot.
                those lovely pots of herbs in the supermarket have lots & lots of plants in them
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks both. I know about the supermarket plants but thought they were crammed in too tight, I'm sure I've heard people say that on forums like this one. Anyway, I've sowed a few more seeds now so they are definitely closer together

Comment

I always scatter a few seeds to each pot (Basil/coriander/Parsley).

I have found that if you want Coriander to grow upwards rather than straggle about; a collar or cloche made from a plastic bottle will entice it upwards and keep it tidy. I'll take a pic if I remember!
                    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X