Anyone else here using Compost teas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else here using Compost teas?

I'm talking about Aerated compost teas brewed with an airpump ...

I've never heard of them, what are they?
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
      I've never heard of them, what are they?
      in simple terms, its a method that is used to brew vermicompost (worm poo) mixed with water and molasses (and a few other ingredients) then brewed for between 24-48hrs to create a compost tea that is rich in bacteria and fungi which is then fed to the plants

Comment

I've bought the molasses and the air pump, tubing and stone but haven't used it yet. Nowt to do with worm poo unless you are using the worm poo as the basis for your brew in which case it would be worm poo tea . My understanding is that the objective is to encourage the multiplication of friendly bacteria so that it can be added to the soil. Fym, or compost can be added to a bucket and water added and the whole mix then agitated. It needs to be aerated constantly either manually with a big stick or similar or in my case with a fish tank air pump and stone.

If not aerated there is a danger of unfriendly nasty bacteria being cultivated as an anaerobic brew.

I'm happy to have my knowledge expanded

Comment

Every year I promise myself I'm going to have a go at this ... eyes-bigger-than-stomach in terms of what I can actually achieve in a year. Perhaps I should stop posting on the internet ... although then I wouldn't know anything about the likes of Compost Tea ... dilemma
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I didn't use to worry to much about using chem fertilizers but I've become interested in the worms and other organisms. I can't see them likeing Miracle Grow! So I have a hot bin and all the compost tea is bound into the cardboard on which it thrives. This is much better as the worms love it as does the Veg. Best year ever since owning the Hotbin....
            Hussar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X