Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blondiewonder View Post
    It's to put on my apple tree to stop the ants
    It's not the ants that are the problem, it's the aphids they're farming. Stopping the ants won't stop the aphids

English Apples - why ants are useful - DIVERSITY WEBSITE
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-05-2014, 06:42 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
      A glue trap ... Is there anything more cruel?
      Cruel as it may sound I am trying to use the best way possible keep to the aphids off certain areas of my garden, as I explained before the vaseline did not work, I am wanting to introduce some ladybirds into my garden but all literature says get the ants out of the way first as ants protect aphids and the the ladybirds will then not have much to feed on. Of course I could have gone down the pesticide route but then that does more harm to more things than simply trapping ants. As I am at the top of the food chain in my garden I'm afraid I'm going to have to get a little selfish and deal with the ants otherwise quite a few things will be spoiled and what would it all be for, to save the ants? Sorry if this doesn't not fit in with your gardening ideology but we can't all be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I get ants and see them as going a good job in the garden.... Now, flying pigs, slugs and snails are my enemy.
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Ecological gardening is all about maintaining and respecting the natural balance. Everything has its role to play in this regard.

Not only are glue traps horrendously cruel they are also totally indiscriminate. If you've no qualms about trapping ants, that's your prerogative, but what about butterflies, moths, bees, ladybirds etc. that could also get trapped?

Aphids may get a bad press on places like this, but without them, we'd have a lot less ladybirds and a lot less birds, particularly the smaller ones, as aphids are the main food source for the fledglings of many bird species.
          Spraying aphids with poisonous insecticides is one factor in the decline in bird numbers.

Generally speaking aphids are dispersed throughout a garden so there's enough to go around.

I hate to be pedantic, but I'm not getting the logic with this ant thing. The ladybirds can fly, the ants can't ...

If you want to attract ladybirds into your garden then that's commendable. This article may help
          Encouraging Ladybirds into the Garden | Garden Shed Adviser
          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Not everyone is dedicated to Ecological gardening and that is their right, as Blondiewonder points out its better than spraying chemicals. If we are worried about cruelty to ants where will it end? will we ban antibiotics because they are cruel to bacteria? many people pour boiling water over ants. Use slug traps, etc etc.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

100% with you Bill

Comment

Many branches to a tree, Bill.

And many opinions on a forum. Everyone entitled to put their view.

One won't agree with everything.
                Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Many branches to a tree, Bill.

And many opinions on a forum. Everyone entitled to put their view.

One won't agree with everything.
                  Yes I agree but that applies to the original poster too. I respect your caring views but I squish spiders lol.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Swishing spiders should be a criminal offence. They do nothing but good for the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyt View Post
                      Swishing spiders should be a criminal offence. They do nothing but good for the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

World domination by Spiders

I am very very big,
                      they are so very very small.
                      This difference of course,
                      matters not at all.

For spiders have abilities,
                      they go in your ears at night.
                      They lay their eggs inside our heads,
                      and you could loose your sight.

They crawl upon the bedroom ceiling,
                      just above your open mouth.
                      Then when they know your sleeping,
                      they make the journey south.

And down they come,
                      on silken thread,
                      Like mission impossible,
                      it must been said.

They clean out all your cavities,
                      they love the bits of meat.
                      They wee and poo inside your mouth,
                      and spread it with eight feet.

People say I’m paranoid,
                      but listen to me now.
                      Those little eight legged creatures,
                      will get us all somehow.

We shall all be paralysed,
                      by their venom so obscene.
                      Then wrapped in miles of gooey thread,
                      left swinging from a beam.

Then they start to eat us,
                      we simply cannot move.
                      Those little eight legged creatures,
                      their superiority will prove.

So when you see one,
                      run across your floor.
                      Hurl books and mats and dogs and cats,
                      until he is no more

Bill HH

Comment

Ecological gardening is all about maintaining and respecting the natural balance. Everything has its role to play in this regard.

Not only are glue traps horrendously cruel they are also totally indiscriminate. If you've no qualms about trapping ants, that's your prerogative, but what about butterflies, moths, bees, ladybirds etc. that could also get trapped?

Aphids may get a bad press on places like this, but without them, we'd have a lot less ladybirds and a lot less birds, particularly the smaller ones, as aphids are the main food source for the fledglings of many bird species.
                        Spraying aphids with poisonous insecticides is one factor in the decline in bird numbers.

Generally speaking aphids are dispersed throughout a garden so there's enough to go around.

I hate to be pedantic, but I'm not getting the logic with this ant thing. The ladybirds can fly, the ants can't ...

If you want to attract ladybirds into your garden then that's commendable. This article may help
                        Encouraging Ladybirds into the Garden | Garden Shed Adviser
                        Ants crawl up to 'milk' aphids for the honeydew that they produce and then protect the aphids from natural predators such as ladybirds and lacewing larvae. By stopping the ants you increase the effectiveness on these natural predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I go a long way to be ecologically friendly, I don't use chemicals when I can avoid it, Slug pellets being one exception but I am looking into safer ones etc etc. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere or you wouldn't walk on the ground for fear of killing something. You can carry these things too far and feeling guilty killing ants is in my opinion too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                            You can carry these things too far and feeling guilty killing ants is in my opinion too far.
                            Totally agree Bill..........but I don't think Adam would take kindly to it....
                            Adam & The Ants - Ant Music (TOTP 81) - YouTube....
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I do take K of A's point about things being in balance - we do need aphids to feed the birds etc, and nature is a big circle and all that.

The problem is when the balance doesn't leave any room for the chap who is growing the crops to actually eat the crops. I mean, I wouldn't mind caterpillars and pigeons eating SOME of my brassica leaves if only they left some for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                Totally agree Bill..........but I don't think Adam would take kindly to it....
                                Adam & The Ants - Ant Music (TOTP 81) - YouTube....
                                Come to think about it where would Dec be without Ant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X