X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You add a chlorine neutraliser to your tap water for top ups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      My out door pond is 3000 gallons ish and I empty 20% of it a month. Its great for plants and a useful resource.
      3000 gallons ?!?!? That's a lake. I do use as well fish tank water for my plants. I call it fish manure lol

Comment

Is there not a hydroponics system that relies on fish in the water the plant roots are immersed in?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

^^^ Is that Aquaponics? They're all a load of ponics to me

Comment

Some people grow food using hydroponic system.

But watering your plants with fish water is just as good.
            Last edited by cariann88; 06-05-2015, 06:37 PM.
            Carrie

Comment

I think turtle water my not be as safe, but I can't remember why!
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Oh, I think it's something to do with turtles poo being like bird poo as they are somewhat related and bird poo is supposed to be not good for you, so turtle water with poo won't be safe either.... I'll shut up now!...
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  ^^^ Is that Aquaponics? They're all a load of ponics to me
                  You're probably right VC!

Here's a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBspR2p0YYM
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As for bird poo being bad for plants, we used to spread hundreds of tons of it on our farm without problems, and i use chiken manure pellets in my garden now.

There was one local farmer who fell into a lagoon of poultry poo and drowned, so it didnt do him much good however.
                    Last edited by Bill HH; 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I don't think I'd use either on my vegetables. While fish water may be fine, I'm not so sure about the turtle water. I have 2 semi aquatic turtles and apart from the fact that turtles can carry salmonella they are also well known to carry a whole host of other bacteria and parasites. I consider my used turtle water to be unsafe and am wary about cleaning them out with open wounds etc, I'm careful not to splash it about and wash my hands thoroughly after I've had any contact with the water. It may be safe but I personally wouldn't take the risk.
                      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                        bird poo is supposed to be not good for you
                        Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        As for bird poo being bad for plants, we used to spread hundreds of tons of it on our farm without problems, and i use chiken manure pellets in my garden now.
                        I suppose different birds will have different diets and therefore pass different stuff but when I visited Peru, I visited the Ballestas islands whose only industry (it is a seabird colony) involved workers living on the islands in huts collecting the guano from the rocks as it is supposed to be the best fertiliser.
                        Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Bat guano is also the best fertiliser,probably really expensive. Pigeon mess is high in nitrogen & you can't really protect the ground from it,I'm not worried about it,unless the mess was on the tomato about to go in my mouth,then I'd wash it

Comment

I seem to be out on a limb where all this heath and safety, or concerns about disease are concerned. half my life was spent on a poultry farm, I was covered in chicken manure on a regular basis, even ate my sandwitches with it on my hands. Our immune system requires regular challenges to keep it in tip top condition and in my case it got them.
                            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I think it's slightly different when it comes to our native species. It's widely known that horse manure, pig poo, chicken cack etc are good fertilisers. Turtles on the other hand are a tropical species and not much is known about how safe the dirty water is. We don't know about the general health of the animal or diseases carried, so we can't just assume the waste is safe to use on plants. Just as you wouldn't use dirty water out of a drain or sewer. Would I use it in my garden? no. If I kept chickens would I use their fertiliser, more than likely yes.
                              Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X