Can I use Marketmore cucumbers as Gherkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am growing both this year.

I believe there is a difference not only in size but in taste and texture. The gherkins I have grown in the past don't get big like a cuke and taste a lot different to small pickled cucumbers, which i have also tried.. Small cucumbers haven't ripened whereas small gherkins have.

Small pickled cucumbers are softer and not as crunchy as gherkins, and to me, have a different taste.!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I only decided to grow them because I got a big jar from Aldi for under a £1

They were slightly chili spiced and lovely and crunchy.

Offered a Jar around work but most people barf at the idea.

Similar reaction with Wifey, arghh take them away !

Jimmy
      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        I only decided to grow them because I got a big jar from Aldi for under a £1

They were slightly chili spiced and lovely and crunchy.

Offered a Jar around work but most people barf at the idea.

Similar reaction with Wifey, arghh take them away !

Jimmy
        Offering your wife around work seems a little....odd

Comment

I love gherkins and cucumbers, I hope to grow both this year too. I grow Marketmore for cucumber and cornichon de paris for gherkins.
          Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
            I love gherkins and cucumbers, I hope to grow both this year too. I grow Marketmore for cucumber and cornichon de paris for gherkins.
            Snap, I've got far too many though as per usual.... who can possibly cope with 16 cuc plants!!!
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              Snap, I've got far too many though as per usual.... who can possibly cope with 16 cuc plants!!!
              Wow, I normally only have 3 cucumber plants and one dies so 2 keeps me in cuc's all summer. How many gherkin plants you have?
              Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Good luck with your pickled cucumber, gherkins, wally's or what else they may be called. I would rather walk on hot coals than eat them

Comment

Gherkins are the food of the gods! I am still trying to perfect my recipe, as I don't like them TOO vinegary. The Lidl ones are perfection.

Comment

Any idea what to do with prickly cucumbers? I have a plant that is producing well but I lost the label. They don't grow to bi ( maybe 6 inches or so ) but remain prickly whether are small or large!

Comment

Lidl and Aldi are the king of gherkins.... delectable.

Comment

Apologies for hijacking thread.

I have 3 Marketmore plants growing away nicely and producing lots of gherkin sized cucs. Pickled gherkins are one of my all time favourite snacks, so please can someone recommend a pickling mixture that I can pickle my baby cucs in? If I were to use the pickling vinegar left over from a shop bought jar of pickled gherkins would that be sufficiently strong enough to pickle new gherkins? Is there a prescribed amount of time that the gherkins need to brew? I don't think I could leave them more than a day without wanting to get stuck in!

Many thanks,
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
                          Any idea what to do with prickly cucumbers? I have a plant that is producing well but I lost the label. They don't grow to bi ( maybe 6 inches or so ) but remain prickly whether are small or large!
                          Rub the spines off, peel and use like any other cuke. I like to cook them briefly and add a splash of Thai fish sauce. Also lovely raw in chunks topped with a piece of anchovy.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

^^^ Mr Bones I like the way you think!

Raine - I find they rub off very easily, they shouldnt be too much of a problem

Super sprout - I go roughly from this recipe and then tweak it in terms of the spices I'm adding https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...kled-cucumbers

(other recipes are available )

Comment

Thanks Vixylix. Not sure I can wait 2weeks LOL

Comment

If you want an immediate one, I just mix some white or red wine vinegar with a bit of sugar and leave the sliced cucumbers to soak in it for half an hour or so. You can warm the vinegar and sugar first and it packs a bit more of a punch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X