No announcement yet.

French and Runners?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sow my beans, French and runners in newspaper pots,jam jar size.Stand them in plastic trays and let them water themselves from the bottom.I plant them out,in their paper pots when there is a good appearance of roots, and plant them out usually towards the end of April.With a very good well established root system they romp away. No point in trying too early.I use paper pots for courgettes and squash as well ,no rush if they are growing well undercover.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by BigV View Post
      I sow my beans, French and runners in newspaper pots,jam jar size.Stand them in plastic trays and let them water themselves from the bottom.I plant them out,in their paper pots when there is a good appearance of roots, and plant them out usually towards the end of April.With a very good well established root system they romp away. No point in trying too early.I use paper pots for courgettes and squash as well ,no rush if they are growing well undercover.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
      I think there is a point to having a go at early planting as weather patterns are different every year and an early crop is a winner if it comes off. If it doesn't what have you lost except a few of those spare seeds that sit around your shed, never to used again? This year it's warmed up really early, where as other years you may not be able to plant untill late May. Same with Spuds, I ran a risk ( again,only of a few spare seed tatas) by planting in mid Feb, and now they're streets ahead and I could be munching on Rocket in a week or two.
      Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 14-04-2014, 04:39 PM.
      Hussar!

Comment

Well as I started it I thought an update was fair!

Planted 24 today, will be more than enough for my patio come small garden.

6 each of the below.

Runner Bean Scarlet Emperor
        Runner Bean Polestar
        Climbing Bean Selma Zebra
        Climbing Bean Blauhilde

Planning in growing in the following, comments welcome, obviously I couldn't work out how to rotate it

Cheers

Danny

Comment

Sorry, I also have no idea why a picture of Stella has appeared but I love her so it doesn't matter
          Cheers

Danny

Comment

Stella's a sweetie I sowed my beans, runner and French in loo rolls last week. Nothing yet, but I'm hopeful that this warm spell will bring them on.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

For direct sowing, does anybody bother with the mini bell cloches (one per sown seed), or for that matter any sort of individual covering: a soft drink bottle with the base cut off, for example? These things strike me as a gimmick and ultimately pointless, as the tiny space they would warm surely is of no consequence to the cold, otherwise exposed soil on which they sit.
              A tunnel on the other hand is a much bigger covering, so the theory of warming and protecting from the elements is more plausible.

Comment

As well as providing a bit of shelter, plastic drink bottle cloches help to keep the snugs off. I don't sow directly, so I provide protection anyway
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I think it is a breeze, causing the plant to transpire, that stress out my Runners after planting out - although I also think they hate chilly nights. So keeping the moving air off them may be a large part of the battle (and a Pop bottle will do for that). But they grow like stink, won't they be up & out of the pop bottle in a week or two? (Maybe that is long enough). In a sheltered garden maybe no special TLC required?
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                    I'm thinking of sowing indoors today?
                    Do keep up
                    Mine are 4" high and being hardened off

(they won't go in the ground until night temps are in double figures though)
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

mine have just appeared, 2 dozen cobra french beans.

I went to the allotment earlier today, and observed that a few people have already planted out their runner beans!

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
                        mine have just appeared, 2 dozen cobra french beans.

I went to the allotment earlier today, and observed that a few people have already planted out their runner beans!
                        mine (3 types) have been in the ground for more than 2 weeks and are over a foot tall ... I have been covering them wit fleece at night though

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          mine (3 types) have been in the ground for more than 2 weeks
                          you might lose them, your frosts aren't over yet: First and last frost dates for towns and cities in the UK and USA

Fleece might keep the frost off, but it isn't going to raise the temp by anything significant. I would sow some more now, to fill any gaps you get.
                          I planted out in April one year ~ they sat there and sat there, didn't grow at all, then turned yellow & finally died. They really really need warmth, day & night
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I planted out in April one year ~ they sat there and sat there, didn't grow at all, then turned yellow & finally died. They really really need warmth, day & night
                            Similar story for me. Last year I planted out some good strong plants middle of June (!) I usually plant out at the end of May but held back because of the cold weather we had but even so the cold damp weather set them back with half of them dead within a few weeks. Luckily I had a lot of spares... They caught up the earlier sown ones.

Comment

I have recently got a new allotment, ive made some room ready for Runners/Peas.

From the posts i've read its probably not a good idea to put these in until May time...I go on holiday May 11th..I may put them in when i get back!
                              Last edited by Perky10b; 16-04-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X