No announcement yet.

Sowing potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies, been out all day with a long drive first thing and another home again, just got back and knackered.
    My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      Just a reminder not to leave the trench "open" in readiness for planting ...
      Nope, won't do that, will dig the trench just before planting
      My allotment in pictures

Comment

Hi, can you put chitted potatoes in bags full or do you need to earth them up like you do in ground?

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Guykp57 View Post
          Hi, can you put chitted potatoes in bags full or do you need to earth them up like you do in ground?
          Either. In a bag its not too hard to add more compost as the plant grows, leaving some foliage clear above the added compost - so the plant can carry on generating energy from sunlight - and I think that is the best way. But plenty of people just fill the bag to the brim and leave the spuds to get on with it ...

If there is a chance of frost then the leaves must be covered with compost, otherwise the frost will kill them and the plant will have to waste energy producing new leaves. That will also delay the harvest date
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I abandoned bags this year and have bought large 45 litre buckets, I found i destroyed quite a few bags last year trying to empty them and they were messy, flapping around etc. I know some people half bury the buckets so the roots come out of the drain holes for extra water and nutrients.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

airpots are the way to grow potatoes .... not cheap, but they last a lifetime and can be used to grow other root crops once you have harvested, or used as compost bins till next year:

Potato Towers for Veg Plots – 150 Litres - 2 Pack

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                airpots are the way to grow potatoes .... not cheap
                Hi Dim

They are on Special at LBS - downside is that you need a trade account to buy [and to see prices] (upside is that I think all it takes is to apply - you don't get any discount, over their retail outlet, unless you buy in bulk, so they aren't losing out as such - although they do have some things available-in-one and not-in-the-other).

Pots and Trays Clearance: Wholesale Pots - Wholesale Trays - LBS Buyers Guide

Anyways,

220L= £8.00
                350L = £9.00
                600L = £8.95

(exc VAT)

I've heard they make good compost heaps too.

I bought some 220L ones but didn't think about a 600L for compost heap - might do that next time, unclipping it to empty would be a lot easier than lifting a Dalek off the top from anyone of a strong build

I have a trade account if that helps anyone, but I don't have the time etc. to deal with the shipping - but I could arrange a Cambridge drop-off for you Dim if you want some
                Last edited by Kristen; 26-03-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                  I think BM more or less covered the answer!
                  (Re growing in bags) Any particular mix of compost to use?
                  Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                  Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi Dim

They are on Special at LBS - downside is that you need a trade account to buy [and to see prices] (upside is that I think all it takes is to apply - you don't get any discount, over their retail outlet, unless you buy in bulk, so they aren't losing out as such - although they do have some things available-in-one and not-in-the-other).

Anyways,

220L= £8.00
                    350L = £9.00
                    600L = £8.95

(exc VAT)

I bought some 220L ones but didn't think about a 600L for compost heap - might do that next time, unclipping it to empty would be a lot easier than lifting a Dalek off the top from anyone of a strong build

I have a trade account if that helps anyone, but I don't have the time etc. to deal with the shipping - but I could arrange a Cambridge drop-off for you Dim if you want some
                    thanks Kristen ... I have several which I bought last year ... I paid a hefty price as I bought them from my local hydroponic store ... the prices on your link are cheap!

I have done comparisson tests using these, and root development is outstanding compared to normal pots

Comment

Hi Dim

Anyways,

220L= £8.00
                      350L = £9.00
                      600L = £8.95

(exc VAT)

I dont quite understand the technology in these airpots? Also there seems a massive difference in prices between those Kristen shows (220ltr @£8) and those that Dim shows (150 ltr twin pack @ £41.68) are you both talking about the same things? The 600l would seem a snip for a compost heap.

A dalek is 300 ltr and costs £18 (discounted from council) whereas these are 600 ltr for £8.95, there must be a downside to this? ok they perhaps need a lid.
                      Last edited by Bill HH; 26-03-2014, 09:54 AM.
                      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        I dont quite understand the technology in these airpots?

here are the airpot composters (they do have lids for them):

Compost-Air & Accessories

as for daleks, I prefer tumblers .... they compost much faster
                        Last edited by dim; 26-03-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                          I dont quite understand the technology in these airpots? Also there seems a massive difference in prices between those Kristen shows (220ltr @£8) and those that Dim shows (150 ltr twin pack @ £41.68) are you both talking about the same things?
                          The ones I listed are on Clearance. I suspect that there isn't much call for pots that size - AirPots are used for growing trees for transplant (supposedly better than pots as the roots don't circle round the pots, but maybe no one is buying them [there were blinking expensive when I saw them at RRP] and thus LBS are clearing them out ...

there must be a downside to this? ok they perhaps need a lid.
                          I'm pretty sure the Airpot website has a Lid suitable for a compost heap - sorry, bit rushed so not time to check.

Comment

Thanks Dim that answers it perfectly.

Comment

The ones I listed are on Clearance. I suspect that there isn't much call for pots that size - AirPots are used for growing trees for transplant (supposedly better than pots as the roots don't circle round the pots, but maybe no one is buying them [there were blinking expensive when I saw them at RRP] and thus LBS are clearing them out ...

I'm pretty sure the Airpot website has a Lid suitable for a compost heap - sorry, bit rushed so not time to check.
                              I registered with that site with no problem,The prices they quote do not include vat or delivery so that ups the price a bit but still very cheap. I am tempted to get a coule of 350Litre ones for composting. There is a lit on the airpot site but not for that size and its over £20, better to knock one up i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
                                (Re growing in bags) Any particular mix of compost to use?
                                I used a third own garden compost, a third MPC and a third well rotted manure, and bunged in a few scoops of Potato fertiliser!

By! This thread has moved on a tad since yesterday!

Liking the idea of these "Airpot's"

Will have to investigate further!
                                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X