No announcement yet.

Quart into pint pot.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I was sticking my neck out............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I thought I was sticking my neck out............
      Furthermore she can't really go shopping with ten bags of MCP in the back of the car. It's called using anger to motivate people, the longer I leave them in the car, the further she chucks them.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hope you can run fast, Bill. I have a picture of you, buried under a mound of compost, just your wellies sticking out (read carefully)

Comment

The truth is i am being cruel to be kind, the last execise bike (one of many) she bought recorded .004 miles in 12 months, i expended more energy setting the damn thing up.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

A litre is a measurement of volume/capacity nothing to do with weight. A litre of wet compost would weigh far more than a litre of dry compost but it would still be a litre.

There should be a disclaimer on the bag 60ltrs when packed this is to allow for compression as already stated. However when you have decompressed it by rubbing between your hands to get rid of lumps it should be back to somewhere near 60ltrs.

Potty
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

What Potty said ^^ plus,thanks for the giggles

Hey Bill,you want me to bring Mrs.BB to meet Mrs.Bill & send them off shopping while we have a jug or three this summer ?
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Bill I forgot to say, if tomorrow it works out that the bag is as short as you think it is.

I would be tempted to first buy a new unopened bag, then explain to the vendor that this bag is purely for use by the Trading Standards people to ascertain the capacity thereof.

You should get your monies worth from the look on their face.

Potty with an evil smirk.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I read that some places throw the compost through a shredder before using it.
                  Bit extreme for most gardeners I think.

Never measured the volume but have always thought it never goes as far as I think it should.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                    What Potty said ^^ plus,thanks for the giggles

Hey Bill,you want me to bring Mrs.BB to meet Mrs.Bill & send them off shopping while we have a jug or three this summer ?
                    Yes good idea, by "shopping" you do mean fetching 20 odd bags of compost I take it?

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    Bill I forgot to say, if tomorrow it works out that the bag is as short as you think it is.

I would be tempted to first buy a new unopened bag, then explain to the vendor that this bag is purely for use by the Trading Standards people to ascertain the capacity thereof.

You should get your monies worth from the look on their face.

Potty with an evil smirk.
                    Well thats what I should do, but I kinda like the staff at this place and I dont want to ruin a good relationship but I would cetainly settle for an admission that i am right and a couple of freebies.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      A litre is a measurement of volume/capacity nothing to do with weight. A litre of wet compost would weigh far more than a litre of dry compost but it would still be a litre.

There should be a disclaimer on the bag 60ltrs when packed this is to allow for compression as already stated. However when you have decompressed it by rubbing between your hands to get rid of lumps it should be back to somewhere near 60ltrs.

Potty
                      Yup I understand volume and weight and it doesnt mention a weight anyway, I certainly broke up any lumps and it was springy and as airy as could be. Not only that the difference in the volume stated and that measured is so great as to be remarkable. I buy this stuff because I like it, it does me well and has done for years, but 60L is what it says and so should be. Anyway maybe my bucket is more than 35L but I bought ten and it says 35L on the invoice, tomorrow will reveal all.
                      Last edited by Bill HH; 21-03-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should go to the garden centre tomorrow and ask for 35 litre in a 60 litre bag. When they say they can't do that I can say "Well you bloody well did yesterday"

Comment

Think you should Bill, let us know how you get on, I've bought loads of 60L, bags recently, if it's only 35 L, then the difference wud fill another bed. With me? But you do the talking, I'll back you up.
                          DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                            Think you should Bill, let us know how you get on, I've bought loads of 60L, bags recently, if it's only 35 L, then the difference wud fill another bed. With me? But you do the talking, I'll back you up.
                            Nice to know i have back up lol.

If it goes to court I will be in my element "Norman Stanley Fletcher you have pleaded guilty........."

Maybe I can get them for Litreing with intent.
                            Last edited by Bill HH; 21-03-2014, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I was reading in my Which? magazine (March 2014) only this week about a chap who bought a 25 litre bag of topsoil which then wouldn't fill a 25 litre hole in the ground.

The small article goes on to say that when he complained to Wickes they made up the shortfall.

It says (as already mentioned in this thread) the volume stated is when filled, and settling can shrink it considerably.

Which? then did a test and measured top soil from Wickes, B&Q and Homebase and measured the volume following the British Standard method....
                              "this involves loosening any compacted material first, and carefully filling calibrated equipment".

All 3 tested were under by 5-10%..... "not ideal but tolerable"....was Which?'s comment.
                              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                              William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
                                I was reading in my Which? magazine (March 2014) only this week about a chap who bought a 25 litre bag of topsoil which then wouldn't fill a 25 litre hole in the ground.

The small article goes on to say that when he complained to Wickes they made up the shortfall.

It says (as already mentioned in this thread) the volume stated is when filled, and settling can shrink it considerably.

Which? then did a test and measured top soil from Wickes, B&Q and Homebase and measured the volume following the British Standard method....
                                "this involves loosening any compacted material first, and carefully filling calibrated equipment".

All 3 tested were under by 5-10%..... "not ideal but tolerable"....was Which?'s comment.
                                After re reading it made me wonder.

I currently work in an ice cream factory. One of our products should be 105ml, but the machine is set to fill to about 110ml, therefore giving lots away, but also to make sure that the customer isn't being ripped off. This costs the company a considerable amount each week (in what is basically being given away), but unless they get a more accurate filling machine this is what they need to do.

I guess the soil/compost dilemma is due to the fact they must aerate it using a machine, which creates extra volume that probably every home gardener just cannot replicate!!
                                The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                                William M. Davies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X