Greenhouse options

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
    I have a mini greenhouse with polycarbonate and although the side panels have stayed in thanks to the shelving the top one has been in and out a thousand times, didn't help the neighbours cat would jump on the lid Grrrrr!
    A bit of support across the pane to help take the cats weight, and silicone the pane on a dry day all along its edges on both sides. That should take care of silvester, if it doesnt invesigate high speed rotating knives.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hi guys,

I have been hunting furiously for a used greenhouse with safety glass. I am convinced that would be the best option for me. It was the lack of transparency rather than just strength which convinced me.

The greenhouses sold as toughened glass go for a lot, however there are a few I have seen whereby a greenhouse is just sold as-is and they have full sheet glazing. I think that only toughened glass greenhouses have full sheets (2ft by 4ft) and regular glass is 2ft squares plus lots of clips.

I cant go and view them all for myself as some are miles away.

If anyone could confirm that is the case I would be grateful - also what marks does the glass have if safety?

Regards,

Dean.
      “The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.”

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

My greenhouse has toughened glass. Some, but not all of the panes are marked "toughened to BS 6206 A". The largest panes are 610mm by 1330mm. Where there are joins they don't overlap but have a H shaped strip between the panes to join them. Hope that makes sense!

Comment

Yipee! I finally brought a greenhouse off eBay!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

It is sold as seen but I called Elite greenhouses and they said they have never shipped those 6 x 10 greenhouses with full sheet glazing that isn't toughened glass (think it's a 'Craftsman').

So I have either just made an expensive mistake which needs to be collected from miles away or have just got a greenhouse for £100 which cost nearly £700 new.

Either way its time to plan how to dismantle and move it alone with a civic. I did move one once before and it was a pig of a job!!

Dean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
          “The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.”

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Looks like you snagged an awesome bargain.
            While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Not counting my chickens yet. Plus I have to get it from Bristol to Exeter! Going to have to work it around work trips.

I will also probably smash the lowest door pane to ensure it is toughened glass (replace with pricey perspex) before I let the kids near it. Unless any break in transit.

Allotment manager kind enough to waive the 6x8 limit too!

Time to prepare a level site for it...

Dean.

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by dean_wales View Post
                Yipee! I finally brought a greenhouse off eBay!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

It is sold as seen but I called Elite greenhouses and they said they have never shipped those 6 x 10 greenhouses with full sheet glazing that isn't toughened glass (think it's a 'Craftsman').
                Dean looking at their website they do a Elite High Eave 6x10 Greenhouse - Toughened Glazing with 3mm Toughened Glazing - Full Length Grade glass so I wonder if its that model.

had a second look and it could be either the craftsman of high because all there Toughened Glass is long pane, looks like you got a bargain
                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Surely if the panes are full height it's gotta be toughened. Horti glass would not have that much strength.
                  While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

It's not the high eave version, just a regular Craftsman.

I thought the same as you David - that full sheet glazing would be always toughened - but I spoke to two sellers of greenhouses on eBay with full sheet glazing on theirs who said that when a pane had broken it hadn't shattered but broken into shards. So obviously there are some out there which arent toughened, even if its rare.

Just trying to work out the ground works now. It comes with an integral base so I will probably go straight onto level, smooth compacted soil. I haven't decided how to anchor it cheaply - probably four short pieces of scaffholding pole hammered into the ground and drilled/bolted to the base.

I don't want to use staging inside as I like to grow directly in the ground to make watering times less critical (mostly grow tomatoes).

Exciting times!

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I will also probably smash the lowest door pane to ensure it is toughened glass (replace with pricey perspex) before I let the kids near it. Unless any break in transit.
                      If toughened would be acceptable to you (I'm reading that it wouldn't ...) then does each pane have a kitemark or similar? or is that just safety glass? There might be some other test you can do (for example, I read that you can check for coatings on low-energy glass by shining a torch through them at an oblique angle).

Assuming that you want Perspex in the door for safety then I recommend that you silicon it in - it has a reputation for bowing in wind (due to differential pressure on each side, or wind passing over it creating a "lift" like an aeroplane wing) and the bowing of the perspex panels causes them to lose their seating at the side and then pop out.

I don't want to use staging inside as I like to grow directly in the ground to make watering times less critical (mostly grow tomatoes).
                      FWIW I "lowered" the beds/borders in my greenhouse to give me more cropping height to the eaves.
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I don't want to use staging inside
                        That staging is worth a fair bit. If you don't want it selling it separately might well net you back half your cost
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the replies. On my way between parents farm in Wales and home I called in to see the green house and scope out the move day next week.

It is a proper bargain.

Its an Elite Craftsman 6x10 and all glass is indeed marked as such.

It has three roof windows, two of which have automatic openers.

It comes with the base.

The staging is impressive. Several heavy duty aluminium trays set onto a frame/bench. About 8 feet long. Can't decide whether to keep for the shed or sell on eBay.

The green house is fitted with a pretty comprehensive irrigation kit - black pipes and drippers etc.

Apart from the glass being a bit green (under a tree) it seems nearly new, no corrosion on the aluminium or anything.

Didn't get the chance to see how/if it is anchored.

All in all I am a happy bunny. Now to rip down the old shack and make a firm level area for it. Still can't decide about growing in ground v beds v containers.

Going to be a looking day moving it alone with a hatchback down the M5!!

Dean.

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Congrats, thats a good bargain

About your staging I leave mine in place its handy for seedling then when its time to plant my toms I remove the shelving and the toms grow through the now empty shelves.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

About your staging I leave mine in place its handy for seedling then when its time to plant my toms I remove the shelving and the toms grow through the now empty shelves.
                              same as that Bren, and it is also handy for leaving some to put chilli plants on, or basil or so on...

I could be wrong (has been known to happen) but it could end up being one of those situations where you sell it , and then regret it....
                              Last edited by Tripmeup; 15-04-2014, 08:13 AM.
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

That's what I do...one year though my step dad found the slats and used it as kindling for the fire!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X