No announcement yet.

Sweetcorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow Sundance 5 to a 50ltr pot, with no trouble. Best thing I ever did was ignore the conventions on planting distance. Sundance is a dwarf variety with full sized cobs, My advice would be to go for at least 20 plants in a 5 square patch, even more wouldn't hurt if you feed the hell out of them. As for pollination I get a flolded sheet of paper and shake the heads to collect the pollen and then just hand sprinkle it on the tassles. Job done.
    Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
      I grow Sundance 5 to a 50ltr pot, with no trouble. Best thing I ever did was ignore the conventions on planting distance. Sundance is a dwarf variety with full sized cobs, My advice would be to go for at least 20 plants in a 5 square patch, even more wouldn't hurt if you feed the hell out of them. As for pollination I get a flolded sheet of paper and shake the heads to collect the pollen and then just hand sprinkle it on the tassles. Job done.
      I plant mine out around 8 inches odd apart - much less than what's recommended. (12-15" odd? *shrug*)

Always works well for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        My understanding is that Sweetcorn don't like much root disturbance and are shallow rooting, so I would expect them to be unhappy about being held-back in pots.

I plant mine into the greenhouse border for the early crop, and the later ones go straight outside (i.e. sown indoors, potted up and planted out when ready)
        I brought a 12 moduled try of swift corn last year which had two seedlings per module Broke them up to make 24 planted out in May and ended up with the tallest thinkist plants on the whole allotment two big corn per plant from everyone … still reckon I was lucky as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Jakejakeyjakejake View Post
          I brought a 12 moduled try of swift corn last year which had two seedlings per module Broke them up to make 24 planted out in May and ended up with the tallest thinkist plants on the whole allotment two big corn per plant from everyone … still reckon I was lucky as hell
          Or I'm doing it wrong

Plants do have a habit of being able to cope - just as well really and much discussion is about getting the best out of them, and that centres around how people have always done it. There is always room for experimentation and "Ask two gardeners and get three opinions"
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've just removed my runner beans from book root trainers and they're excellent. I'm doing my sweetcorn in them this year, if they're anything like my beans' roots they're going to be storming! BUY SOME NOW!!!
            Hussar!

Comment

"Swift" all the way for me! Grown em for years!

In a block of 15, the only way My space n crop rotation allows!

Never earth em up, never screen em, just "Stick em in" n let em get with it!

Average 3 to 4 cobs per plant! Honest!

Done exactly the same this year, no need for fancy "clip together" root trainers! Stick em in "Bog Roll Inners"

Will show you the the outcome this year!

You watch! Now having said that! They'll all fail!

But they are gorgeous just picked n panned fried in butter on the camping stove on't "Lottie"
              Attached Files
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                "Swift" all the way for me! Grown em for years!

Average 3 to 4 cobs per plant! Honest!
                I rarely get more than one - have you got a feeding regime that is maybe making yours do so well? (and which I should be copying )

Comment

I too only get one, perhaps one and a half per plant but I get five plants in the space that others give to one, so it's winner. I'm sure this only works with Sundance (being dwarf ) though. I'll experiment this year and see if I can do it with a taller Supersweet.
                  Hussar!

Comment

Deano how tall does swift grow?

Comment

Originally posted by Spunky View Post
                      Deano how tall does swift grow?
                      Mine grows about shoulder height.

Comment

I grew supersweet F1 last year ... I got 2 cobs per plant and the cobs were huge ...

I bought 3 trays of baby sweetcorn yesterday (30 plants) from the garden centre (they don't have the large sweetcorn plants yet, but should be getting them in this week) ...

I will wait till the end of next week before planting them in the soil

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                          I rarely get more than one - have you got a feeding regime that is maybe making yours do so well? (and which I should be copying )
                          "Kristen" honestly no! But I do bulk up the earth with as much good stuff as I can over winter n early spring!

"Spunky" as "Kristen" said, about shoulder high!

Do space em about 18 inch apart though! See a lot tend to ram em closer! Maybe that's the answer!

But "Proof in the pudding" really nice cob's!

Apologise to all have seen this pic, have posted before, but only pic I could find!
                          Attached Files
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Just thought I'd mention this trick for growing two varieties with out getting cross pollination. Make some paper cones and place them over emerging tassles, then collect pollen and hand sprinkle it over the female parts and cover again with the cones. This ensures good pollination and protects from cross fertilisation. It's what they do commercially to produce controlled hybrids for market. It's not to much work if you've a small patch.....
                            Hussar!

Comment

Those are some nice banana shallots and big old cobs ya got there Dino!
                              Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 14-04-2014, 05:07 PM.
                              Hussar!

Comment

Cheers Rich!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X