tomato seedlings planted out.. kinda

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    Yep been there and done that, the result is they are all over crowded and none of them do as well as they would have done.
    Indeed, it's strange, I know my yields are lower because I overcrowd, but yet, but yet.....

This year's mantra, space them out...

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      maybe most things I root would do so anyway ...
      I always used to use rooting powder, then ran out and CBA to buy any more. Everything takes just as well without it
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
        I wonder how many forumers out there understand this, welcome to my World, it goes like this....
        • Better sow an extra few in case they don't germinate
        • Oh they all germinated
        • Better compost the spares
        • Although it seems a shame
        • Maybe I could give them away
        • But then I could just put an extra one here and that corner's looking bare, and.......

same here, i have to give my daughter 5 plants but that still leaves 45 young plants so far and its not even april yet, got some cucumelon seeds to sow yet, maybe another greenhouse?..

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
          same here, i have to give my daughter 5 plants but that still leaves 45 young plants so far and its not even april yet, got some cucumelon seeds to sow yet, maybe another greenhouse?..
          Hahaha, my wife suggested "Why don't you just glaze over the patio" then rolled her eyes good thought but I'm pretty sure I'd soon need another patio..........

Comment

I sowed toms and they came up like mustard and cress. My problem is that I don't know when to stop pricking them out. I now have 30 strong young plants - probably only really need 12 max - tomato soup anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
              I think potting-on deep means that there is very little compost under the rootball, in the new pot, so the plant has to make roots either upwards (which isn't its preferred route due to gravity geotropism) or roots from its stem (which takes time, relative to just making new roots from the "bottom" of the rootball).

In discussion with folk, over the years, potting on "sideways" is one route that is of interest - planting at an angle with maximum stem under the compost and then the stem grows on having turned a corner to grow upright. This uses minimal depth in the new pot, but achieves maximum stem under ground.

But I'm not convinced that there is any major benefit, during plant raising.

To have stem roots later in the season I think that planting them with a collar of some sort around the stem, which is then filled with compost, might be the answer - rather like Ring Culture in the old days. Back then we used to feed into the ring culture pot once a week - which I always thought was cruel as the roots only ever got moisture that one time each week when feeding, so although they were probably adapted to feeding (and the lower roots to water absorption) I suspect they were bone dry at easy feed-watering.
              Great post Kristen

Comment

If I put any plants on my wall outside the house they are gone within the hour. No need for a sign, these Devonians think if it isnt bolted down it's theirs (and sometimes if it is bolted down)
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Someone down the road from me planted laurel along the front of their boundary; twelve plants total I think. They were gone within the week, pulled up and carted off during the night.
                  I have a friend in Brighton; his and surrounding streets are regularly cased by pikeys. ANYTHING lying around is gone. And if you should catch them in the act, at best you'll get something along the lines of "Oh. I thought you didn't want this" (even though we've never spoken before), or worst, abuse and threats while they take it anyway. Unfortunately these 'people' are largely untouchable by law or civil society. Sad.

Comment

Most visitors to our house at the moment leave with at least one tomato plant, probably a chili as well!

And otherwise I just take them into work and foist them on unsuspecting passersby. I've had really mixed germination rates, with all (!) of my gardener's delight coming off, but only half or so of my bottle tomatoes. I don't need that many little tomatoes!
                    My allotment and cooking blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X