Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    Not lots, no. I've only had this lotty for 6 years
    Interesting that you don't think that a bean trench makes a difference for you, particularly on light land. Having said that, I chuck mine in and forget about them, although they do get watered when I water other things, and they still grow like Medusa's hair! I'd have to be doing something seriously wrong not to get a glut from Runners, so I wonder if I need to encourage them to perform even better? Perhaps they would taste better with more constant / consistent watering [from a rough compost trench]?

I think its worth me just trying half-and-half this once
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
      Interesting that you don't think that a bean trench makes a difference
      I used to make the trench, but got really frustrated with the lumpy bumpiness of the beds, which sink as the stuff rots.
      I then started putting finished garden compost into the planting holes under the beans.
      Next, I emptied a dalek and planted beans directly into that compost (it was fab at retaining water). Then I just planted the beans in normal (sandy) soil, with a sunken pop bottle in the middle of the wigwam to water into.

There's no doubt, planting them into rotted garden compost is the best way I've tried, but as I grow 100s of plants a year, I just don't have enough time or compost to do that with everything.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I don't ever put weeds in as weeds tend to grow in the ground more when the compost has decomposed and spread on the beds. I put all vegetable and fruit peel, rip up newspapers and cardboard rolls like loo rolls and kitchen rolls. Any old greenery from last year from the plants were thrown in but chopped up as it takes ages to decompose and I'm impatient to wait years and years for it. Tea from tea bags as the tea bags take ages so I take time to rip them open and just put the tea leaves in, also coffee dregs

Comment

Originally posted by Wendie View Post
          I don't ever put weeds in as weeds tend to grow in the ground more when the compost has decomposed and spread on the beds
          Very true. I have a big garden and little time so I am lazy and put most weeds in the wheelbarrow and onto the compost, rather than trying to separate out the weeds that might be a problem (those that are in flower or have seed heads, and the pernicious ones, in particular their roots; whereas [the roots/plants of] annual weeds are not going to survive the compost heap)

Tea from tea bags as the tea bags take ages
          I think it is worse nowadays? as the bags of pretty much all brands are now made of nylon, so aren't going to rot down at all. But as per above ! I don't rip them open, but I really ought to.
          Last edited by Kristen; 16-03-2014, 12:36 PM.
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Wendie View Post
            I don't ever put weeds in
            Weeds are only dangerous if they are seeding, or if they are able to grow from root cuttings (eg. bindweed, couch grass) or if they will survive burying (dandelion, buttercup).

Weeds are a valuable source of nutrients, I would never give them away free to the council. They all get killed & composted.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X