No announcement yet.

My new layout for 2014

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty with the lights, what about the right hand wall/ fence/trellis?

You seem so organised tho, I bet you've thought if every possibility.
    DottyR

Comment

Cheers Dotty. Doesn't mean I've got it all right though

There's certainly no chance of mounting anything to the wall behind the fig tree (the one wrapped up), as they're all 2m + plants again. Between the fig tree and the arch is less certain. If you look at the bottom of the pic with the lighting, there's two traditional style lamps on the fence. These are going to be moved against the right hand wall as they will get more sun there, and therefore give more light back at night. They only stand as high as the wall though (they look higher in the pic above because I tie wrapped them to the fence instead of using the proper bases).

Also along that wall, I need to try and get all the plants listed in post #6 ...

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
      Asparagus Peas
      Hyacinth Beans (pots sorted - growing space still in question)
      Outdoor Chillis
      Minnesota Midget Melon
      Huckleberries (black and golden)
      Inca Berries
      More Queensland Arrowroot (only one pot there provisionally at the moment)
      Skyscraper Lillies (bulbs currently sat at the PO collection office)
      Sage (existing pot needs dividing)
      .... and I think I'm going to be gifted a tomato plant too ....

EDIT: Oops! Forgot about the Bulgarian Giant Leek I have seeds for too. I want to get two or three of those squeezed in if possible
      In effect, that wall is going to be rammed pretty solid too, and anything on the bottom fence will spend most it's life in shade and interfere with the clothes airer

There's two other tall items that need to go out into the garden, that I need to be mindful of. In the pic that shows what it's like now, there's 4 chrome lights on the fence at the bottom. Those are gas lamps. Two of them are fastened to the fence to replace the solar lanterns, and the other two need to go out in the garden and be sited where they won't scorch anything. I'm thinking one where the bag of top soil is with the lanters laid on top, and the other roughly where the sage is (just to the left of the fig tree). There's actually going to be quite a lot of height in the garden, and in fact a lot of the flowers are going to be as tall as the trees

Comment

Now, where's the BBQ?
        DottyR

Comment

Under the green cover near the arch. Do you really think I'd forget something as important as that?

Comment

I really hope the weather is as good as it was last year as you are going to get so much enjoyment from that layout! It takes a couple of years to establish a good work-life balance in the garden. We are going to be in Summer number 2 this year too. Last years layout was a trial and error and we've swapped quite a lot round this year. Or plan to. It's just soil in beds at the moment! But I look out of my window and plan and plan! Hurry up Summer!
            You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
              I really hope the weather is as good as it was last year as you are going to get so much enjoyment from that layout! It takes a couple of years to establish a good work-life balance in the garden. We are going to be in Summer number 2 this year too. Last years layout was a trial and error and we've swapped quite a lot round this year. Or plan to. It's just soil in beds at the moment! But I look out of my window and plan and plan! Hurry up Summer!
              It's amazing what one year of experience does to what you expect/want from a garden isn't it

I'm certainly hoping for a good year too. A few of the items I have in this year are quite young, and though I don't expect them to produce much if anything, I'd certainly like them to get settled into their new homes and put on some decent growth

Comment

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
                I've just updated my plant list on my blog, and I'm about on a par with you I think. Currently planned there's 59 varieties of plants (though 6 of those varieties are ornamental), but that's not including strawberries. Not fully decided what I'm doing as regards varieties with those yet. What size growing space are you working with?
                I've got an area of soil which is about 4.2m x 1.75m, with a 90cm path alongside it which runs along the side of an 8ft high Leylandii hedge on the eastern side. Then I have a paved area which is about 5.5 x 3.2m BUT that is surrounded by high walls and fences on the east, south and west sides, so it gets no sun at all in the winter and only about half of it gets any sun in the summer. I also "steal" space from the flower garden so that it is gradually being taken over by a dwarf apple tree, peas, tomatoes and anything else I can cram in, and I use the windowsills indoors too.

This probably sounds a lot, but when I was married I had a 1/4 acre garden of which half was orchard and vegetables so what I have always seems tiny to me.

I'm trying to grow:
                Alfalfa sprouts
                Apple James Grieve
                Blueberry Bluecrop, Dixie
                Beetroot Boltardy
                Broccoli Early Purple
                Cabbage Hispi, Spring Hero
                Calabrese
                Calendula
                Carrot Nantes Fastcrop, Eskimo
                Chervil
                Cornflower
                Courgette Green Bush, Piccolo
                Cucumber Vega
                Currant White Versailles
                Garlic Chives
                Kohlrabi Vienna Mix
                Leek Albana, Oarsman
                Lettuce Little Gem, Lollo Rossa, Provencale mix, Salad Bowl Mix
                Nasturtium
                Onion Red Baron, Sturon
                Oregano
                Pak Choi mix
                Parsley (French)
                Pea Early Onward, Geisha, Hurst Greenshaft, Meteor, Onward
                Pepper California Wonder, Snackbite Orange
                Potato Charlotte, Desiree, Pentland Javelin, Sarpo Axona
                Raspberry Allgold, Autumn Bliss
                Rhubarb Red Champagne
                Spinach Beet
                Spinach Bloomsdale, Reddy, Tirza
                Spring Onion Furio, White Lisbon
                Strawberry Elsanta, Malwina, Marshmellow, Vibrant and an unspecified "Everbearer"
                Tomato Bajaja, Shirley, Sungold, Totem, Tumbling Tom
                Turnip Atlantic
                Last edited by Penellype; 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

You certainly got me beat on space there, but you have a few space hungry crops too by the looks of it

Comment

And now I'm on the verge of another big decision.

Option 1:
                    Stay snowed under with seedlings and continue to juggle them round between north and south windowsills to try and keep them alive. Replace my probably kaputtoed purple filbert on a like-for-like basis. Tolerate having bright yellow patio grow bags in my otherwise fairly smart looking seating area. Re-juggle everything I have for best fit.

Option 2:
                    Cull some seedlings I've spent time nurturing. Sling the patio grow bags back in the shed and buy some decent looking pots. Sling the kippered filbert out. Order the three new trees I've been hankering after all afternoon. Desperately try to figure out how on earth I'm going to get three more bloomin' trees in such a small space along with all the other trees and bushes in such a way that everything (including me) gets it's sun and air requirements, not just this year, but in years to come. Block out the pain of the additional expense

Option 2 is definitely sounding the favourite , but I really ought to sleep on this one ...

Compromise is not an option

Comment

Option 3....
                      Donate a few seedlings to other peeps.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well .... I've slept on it, I've woken up, and I've ordered the trees

Two of them are dwarfing, but will still become broad and deep (Peach Crimson Bonfire, and Quince Leskovacz), and the other is a good size tree (Mirabelle De Nancy). That'll take me up to 10 trees (and over 10 fruit bushes, plus a load of other big stuff too) .... assuming the filbert really is dead, otherwise it's 11 trees.

Yikes This is going to be a bit of a tight squeeze I reckon.

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Option 3....
                        Donate a few seedlings to other peeps.

I'm not sure anyone would take them to be honest Nicos, but it's worth a try

Comment

You don't do things by halves.

Now I understand the seedling cull comment on the other thread. I know this is a gardening site and as such I should really be commenting on the plants, but I do like the pretty lights.

I hope you fit in what you want to and the trees slot in somewhere without too much of a 'siting' headache.

Comment

Thanks GG

I kind of have a rough idea of what I might be able to try, but until they arrive and I see what I'm working with, I can't do much in the way of prep. I did receive another 6 plants yesterday, but they're for my wall troughs which are on the front of the fence, so they don't mess anything up

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X