Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, that will save me a bit of money

Comment

I dont think i would just plant seeds into a tray that has just had seeds in without making sure its not soaking wet and giving it a good stir up however.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I like to use the moulded fibre pots for seed sowing. I tend to go with the smaller size, six cell strips. They're perfect for tomatoes and chillies. Example here:
        6 Cell Strip Peat Pots | Tucker's

The benefit of these is that you fill them with compost, then sow one or two seeds per cell. Place in a tray or propogator and treat as normal. As each seed germinates and develops, you then detach that individual cell from the bunch, and pot it on in it's entirety. No need to prick out, and the roots are not disturbed.
        Faster germinating plants can be moved out of the propogator / tray, onto a window sill etc., whilst slower ones can be left for longer. So different seeds can be sown in the same tray. I also find that the fibre pots make it easier to judge how much watering is required.

Packs of peat pots are available pretty much everywhere that sells gardening sundries. They're just a few pounds, but will save you a lot of time in the long run, and hopefully get your young plants off to a strong start.

Comment

Thanks Philthy, I have seen these in various shops but didn't buy them because I thought they were a bit of a gimmick. I'll see how I get on with the plants I'm growing now, but may well use them in future.

Anyway, I now have another problem! My seedlings are in 7 cm pots and looking healthy, lovely green leaves and they aren't growing taller so rapidly now that they've got more light. But I didn't label them properly and think I have mixed some of them up I can't believe how many things I am getting wrong!

It wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't for the fact that one is a cordon variety (Orkado F1) and the other is a tumbler (Gartenperle), destined for a hanging basket. I obviously can't have a cordon tomato in a hanging basket

As they grow, will there be any way to tell them apart before they are ready to plant in their final positions? Or should I just start again?
          Last edited by IndigoElectron; 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X