No announcement yet.

Get things to grow at the same time

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe an option would be look towards quick crops, and long harvest crops.

Quick crops would include sprouts as mentioned by JoeDaStudd, and there's mung beans, beetroot, and sunflower seeds as well as many others and the ones Joe mentioned. There's also radishes, baby salad, baby turnips and such which are ready in a few weeks. Carrots can be harvested as baby carrots or allowed to grow on an be harvested later and so provide a long harvest window. If you start going off-piste with stuff like Good King Henry, there's potential of leaves, flower buds and roots at different times, Amaranth has the potential of being a leaf and grain crop again extending potential harvesting times. Employing those techniques will give you a range of options which can be complimented with crops which have longer growing times and shorter harvest. Again, even with those, a mix of varieties may yield crops over a larger time frame than growing a single variety. Another aspect is crop storage. A butternut squash (or similar) and many root crops have the potential to be stored a good while and used when needed rather than just when ready - other crops will give you less options over when they have to be used.

Comment

As you're a "vegetation", by which I assume you mean vegetarian, I think you should consider growing beans for drying.

Comment

Some great recipes here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ans_26962.html from TwoSheds who grows lots of beans for drying every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakejakeyjakejake View Post
          Is it still possible to crest meals using bare minimal shop brought products
          Of course it is, although you may need to adjust your idea of a "complete meal".

Those of us with allotments tend to eat what is ready on the plot, not what we fancy. For example, tonight we're eating stir fried leeks, chard, cabbage, beet leaves & (dried) beans. All I bought was the rice and the oil/vinegar for the dressing
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

And I saw a lovely recipe today for a leek and broccoli quiche - both of which are still quite happily standing in my garden at the moment . I love the things that stand for ages - leeks, carrots, parsnips, and sprouting broccoli which you can crop almost all year if you buy different varieties . Add some onions and garlic which should store for months, and you've got the makings of loads of tasty meals! Soups are great too, 'cos you can use almost any veg in them, and they're quite filling with some beans or potatoes in, and maybe some home-made bread rolls to go with them . Or leave them chunky and throw in some spices for a curry or a veggie casserole.
            sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I could freeze types of beans though right I have some kind of intolerance to kidneys and thus a little food freaked about dryed beans fine with fresh broads runners green and tinned butter beans I apologise I don't know what the plant name for butter beans are . Also apologies If sounding like a difficult customer I'm not this is all great advice and I'm taking notes

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Of course it is, although you may need to adjust your idea of a "complete meal".

Those of us with allotments tend to eat what is ready on the plot, not what we fancy. For example, tonight we're eating stir fried leeks, chard, cabbage, beet leaves & (dried) beans. All I bought was the rice and the oil/vinegar for the dressing
                Also what I ment by complete meals is just enough ingrediance to make a meal I did get to the point last yr due to starting late that all I had was courgettes and broad beans while I was waiting for other things to crop I hope I'll be slit more prepared this yr ( if I don't keep messing up my seeds see other topic group

Comment

Do you grow peas, Jake?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Do you grow peas, Jake?
                    Yes but I'll do it in successions this yr and as was suggest early will be going for pea shoots to this yr I'm just really keen to get as much from the plot and less out if pocket this yr I want this to be a way of life more than a hobby hense all the annoying questions … which I apologies to everyone for

Comment

No worries about the questions Jake - wait 'til I start with the annoying answers .............ooops I think I just have

Comment

What I do when things are plentiful is freeze them, either as they come or cooked with something else. Then at times when those things are not available but other things are, I can make a soup using part frozen ingredients. For example the courgettes were ready before the tomatoes and onions, so I froze chunks of courgette, then froze tomato and peppers, and I have stored onions. So I can make a really nice tomato, courgette, green pepper and onion soup whenever I have some fresh stock. I also froze peas and chopped turnips, which I often add to curries or casseroles. I don't grow beans, but those would be another candidate for the same treatment.

At this time of year my propagator and seed trays are busy with salad greens - try growing any of the following to eat at 4-6 leaf stage:

lettuce eg salad bowl, lollo rossa or any of the ready mixed varieties
                        spinach
                        beetroot
                        broccoli
                        pak choi
                        pea shoots
                        herbs (I particularly like chervil and parsley)
                        alfalfa sprouts

I have been eating wonderful salad sandwiches for lunch several times a week using mixtures of these greens (plus the occasional tomato from my windowsill) and cream cheese in home made bread. The great thing about these is they have a turnover rate of about 4-6 weeks or less so you can ring the changes.

Tonight my plan is to finish off the Christmas new potatoes with some chicken plus carrots and leeks from the garden.
                        Last edited by Penellype; 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X