beefsteak tomato recommendations..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your advice.

I am a very lucky boy, an envelope came through my letterbox this morning from an incredibly generous fellow grape (thanks again, you know who you are)!
    I will be growing some..or maybe all of the following...

Mortgage lifter
    Cyrils choice
    black cherry
    Amish paste
    Pantano
    brown and black boar
    black icicle
    black Russian
    cour di bue
    dancing with smurfs

Incredibly happy!
    Cant wait to get sowing!
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I'm trying a beefsteak this year called John Baer it's a heirloom variety, supposed to be very productive tasty and above all early

Tried marmande a few years back outside. Didn't really get any ripen though
      Last edited by Urban; 28-02-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It just so happens that another magazine, reports on their trial of beefsteak tomatoes from last year. Their best tasting ones were:- Big daddy, Corazon, Costolto Fiorentino, country Taste, Faworyt.
        Last edited by bearded bloke; 02-03-2014, 09:08 PM. Reason: removed magazine title

Comment

Originally posted by Urban View Post
          I'm trying a beefsteak this year called John Baer it's a heirloom variety, supposed to be very productive tasty and above all early
          Any feedback on this tomato - it is recommended by Nicky Kyle here, so fancied trying it.

TOMATO REPORT 2013

Comment

We have grown two African Queen tomato plants this year. One got blossom end rot and the other one didn't. Work that one out.
            Anyways, I am definitely hoping to grow next year. Wonderful sweet flavour, highly recommend
            Nannys make memories

Comment

I, by accident, sort of, bought a leggy Mortgage Lifter plant from my local charity shop, obviously surplus to someone's requirements. It has been amazing and the fruit are so juicy and tasty and huge and no disease problems. I want to grow it again.

Comment

I'm grown Johnsons Big Red Americans from Wilko. I measure one last week it's about 4inch wide. Still not showing any signs of turning red. I noticed yesterday the poor thing has start to crack
                @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Must admit! Never really entertained me before! But gave a few plants a "stab" this year!

They are huge!!!!

"Marmande" n "Country" somet or other!

Thinking they are gunna take a time to turn!
                  Attached Files
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I am growing black Russian and olympe (which was recommended as a "good" sized tomato) as I grew last year, the black Russian has crossed with the olympe(grapefruit and above size) so I am now getting toms that OH moans she can only get 9 into a washing up bowl that she seems to collect everything in, but the olympe is huge, they do taste great but up here I have to grow in the greenhouse and today i tried to lay them out as for the show next week, I will have to use a xl dinner paper plate to get the 5 on there. I haven't had any blossom end rot as I water each morning about 1 gallon for each plant, seems a lot but in the g/house border the excess just drains away and they don't seem to mind the iffy weather we have had each summer for the last few years, best tom last year was 2lb 7 3/4oz and it took two hands to hold, big enough for a cottage loaf sandwich........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X