No announcement yet.

Too late for bean trench?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been keen on a trench as beans are very thirsty plants and a slight check on their water levels can cause them significant stress. I've always found those that do go to the effort of a trench are rewarded with lush green plants with lots of healthy leafy growth.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Mmmmm, seems like a 50/50. split on the benefits or not on digging a bean trench.

The area I'm going to use, is currently under black fabric, I emptied the contents of compost bin last autumn, and covered it over for winter, hoping this will be ok.
      DottyR

Comment

Right. So it's primarily about water retention. What are the best materials to fill it with in that regard? I've noted newspaper, and manure, from early on in this thread.

From a different perspective, what are the best mulches to use to limit drying out?

I think I will try using a trench. I have heavy clay too, and it's had no where near enough conditioning to be considered a workable soil on it's own. So after a few weeks hot, dry weather, it would be hard and impenetrable without regular mulching and digging.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
          what are the best mulches to use to limit drying out?
          whatever you have available. I tend to use wet newspapers (because I get a daily paper) and grass clippings (because I beg them off the council groundsmen).

I also use green manures, chopped & dropped.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We didn't dig one last year. In terms of helping them not dry out, we go through a lot of Robinsons dilute juice, and use the big concentrate bottles filled with water and the nozzle end pushed into the ground. Refill every few days, or sooner if it has been hot.

We had loads of broadies and runners last year, although not so many borlotti, although I don't think our soil is great for those
            Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Originally posted by out in the cold View Post
              We had loads of broadies and runners last year, although not so many borlotti
              I think it's more likely down to heat, rather than soil. Broadies & runners are good in cool weather, whereas French beans (borlotti are F.beans) prefer warmer temps
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I use the following to fill a bean trench: partially composed stuff, dry stuff. leaves.. bits of shredded small twigs and shredded raspberry canes.

All add humus to the soil and prevent water drainage and open up the soil Yes , the composting of them drains the soil of nitrogen.. but I'm planting beans so that's OK... they fix nitrogen...

As far as growth is concerned, it's cool here so none before June unless May is exceptional. I aim to plant in the greenhouse in pots early May and plant out late May/early June.. Frosts often occur here early May and occasional snow in June:-(
                Last edited by Madasafish; 18-03-2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X