No announcement yet.

how to dig?!?!?!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You think you've got problems..............I practice a 'no dig' regime but I luuuuuuurve digging!

If its 'claggy' deffo keep off the land. You may improve the surface texture but you'll destroy the structure!

I say I practice 'no'dig' but I did dig the whole plot about four years ago. You don't get the compaction on raised beds as long as you keep to the paths and this helps retain there structure, especially if you add organic content to the surface each year..
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      You think you've got problems..............I practice a 'no dig' regime but I luuuuuuurve digging!

If its 'claggy' deffo keep off the land. You may improve the surface texture but you'll destroy the structure!

I say I practice 'no'dig' but I did dig the whole plot about four years ago. You don't get the compaction on raised beds as long as you keep to the paths and this helps retain there structure, especially if you add organic content to the surface each year..
      well that is the plan i want to do....but right now i'm not sure what to do in the plot... when i accepted the plot they told me that will be a new shed and all the trees were supposed to be cut down... right now the trees are still there because the council doesn't want to cut them and the new shed is not there because they dont have enouth founding.... i felt like they fool me but i don't want to give up and i want to wait a bit before i spend some money with it... i want to see where the sun goes during the day and where to plant whatever will be best in there... there are big bed like 6m x 2m so not walking in there is impossible...i have a sweet plan for my plot and i will see if i can... i need a little shed even where to stand if start to rain a bit or to put my bag and tools... is a bit annoying see everyone put their stuff in shed and me take them all home...and i don't think my neighbor plot holder are friendly... one offered to put my tools in there considered that he doesn't have a lock and the week after i found a brand new pad lock ( good job i didn't already left my tools in there) maybe because i'm new they don't trust me....

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
        well that is the plan i want to do....but right now i'm not sure what to do in the plot... when i accepted the plot they told me that will be a new shed and all the trees were supposed to be cut down... right now the trees are still there because the council doesn't want to cut them and the new shed is not there because they dont have enouth founding.... i felt like they fool me but i don't want to give up and i want to wait a bit before i spend some money with it... i want to see where the sun goes during the day and where to plant whatever will be best in there... there are big bed like 6m x 2m so not walking in there is impossible...i have a sweet plan for my plot and i will see if i can... i need a little shed even where to stand if start to rain a bit or to put my bag and tools... is a bit annoying see everyone put their stuff in shed and me take them all home...and i don't think my neighbor plot holder are friendly... one offered to put my tools in there considered that he doesn't have a lock and the week after i found a brand new pad lock ( good job i didn't already left my tools in there) maybe because i'm new they don't trust me....
        Dig a shallow trench somewhere dry on your plot.(under a tree,hedge etc). Put your tools in a hesian sack in the trench. Put a piece of tin sheeting or an old door over the top. No one will ever think to look there. Take expensive tools home with you as shed with or without lock will not keep toerags out!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Deadlines and chairmen!!! is this the bloody Gestapo? another reason i dont want an allotment.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Well a good news is that today they delivered a brand new shed and a water tank as well. Today I met a lady that had the next plot for 5 years and she give me all the info about my allotment previous tenant and some advice as well. I feel more comfortable after that chat because she assure me that my plot get plenty sun only around 12/ 3 Pm there is some a hand and she also say that if is a hot day that is perfect because give a bit of protection to the plant. Over all I'm happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X