Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much would you spend on seeds a year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About £5 in postage only, taking part in both the seed circle and the VSP. The 2014 circle is still open:
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-circle-2.html

Comment

I spend very little a year, it would seem. Then again I only have a fairly small growing area, and that makes a diference.

Part of the reason is that I found moreveg, and they supply seeds in smaller quantities and usually at 60/70p a pack on quite a few instances.

So easy to buy say 6 different seeds for £5 and plant those, even then I can end up with half left unused, plant just one or two short rows as a trial. Or with tomato's I would get 12 seeds(50p) but I don't want 12 of the same tomato plants, and like many these get saved for the following year(s). So things build up.

Comment

Actual seeds this year I think will be nil.

I have bought some plants (Asparagus), sets/bulbs (onion, shallot & garlic) and some fruit canes/trees but have managed to resist the seeds so far!

Comment

I spend about £15 a year. I save some (peppers, courgette, other random squash that I buy!) and buy the rest with vouchers bought for me at Christmas/birthday (the one advantage of having a birthday in the carp month of Feb!). This year I discovered that ye olde ironmonger in the centre of Dorking sells seed spuds at a fraction of the price in the garden centres or online, so my stash for the year cost £4. I save a lot of the smaller potatoes from the previous season and save money that way.

Comment

Up to yet I've only bought parsnips and sweetpeas they came to around 60p from Lidl and looking at the rest of my seed box I'm sure I don't need anything else.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

This is our first year with an allotment, and we're going with lots of variety. I also didn't know about things like the VSP or seed circle, and I couldn't find a local seed swap.

The result: I think we spent about £80 on seeds/fruit plants (blackcurrants, blueberries) and seed potatoes.

However, we should have plenty of seeds left over for next year, and our costs then should be much lower.
              My allotment and cooking blog.

Comment

most of the seeds i sow are free from various mags, but i always have to buy the odd packet and some seed potatoes so i reckon bout £25 a year.

Comment

I usually spend quite a bit being honest I seem to see something new and want to try it then I look and think 'did I really spend that much?' This year though I have many seed left over already and I have lots of outdated seed so will try and grow some of that - Time for cutbacks :P
                  Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

I don't count! It's easier that way and also less shocking
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                      I don't count! It's easier that way and also less shocking
                      Me too. Also then when OH asks how much I've spent on various shopping trips I can say don't know without looking too guilty 😚

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Afraid to say I spend way too much and if I had the money I'm sure I'd spend more!!!!! Total addict
                        Love seed swaps, seed saving and circles too, just there are so many fantastic sounding varieties to trial and enjoy
                        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X