Chilli seedlings - heated propagator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok Cobra, here are mine tonight.

They will stay like this probably for another 2 weeks.
    Attached Files

Comment

Excellent, cheers Chilli Grower

Comment

Well I still haven't started :/ buuut reading a fb page have scared myself into thinking Chillis are way too difficult to grow....tho I did a couple of teeny 'ordinary' ones last year which were ok......I've bought some seeds....which took an age to be delivered and some little block things to set the seeds in....not the rockwool tho and have a heated propagator........q.......do I need to soak the seeds first....and what temp to propagate at friend of mine insists they need to be 30 degrees :-0

Chilli Grower can I ask about your growlights pls......that's another minefield Tx

Comment

Hi Ladyslip.

Well I am pretty new at all of this myself. (This is my fourth year of ever growing chillies).

I can honestly say that I have always had between good and superb results. Perhaps I have just been lucky!?

I can tell you in my personal opinion, that I find chillies very easy to grow indeed.

I do not soak seeds or place in damp kitchen roll at all. I used to, but I now find it does not speed things up or make any difference at all. (Others may disagree)

I just put the seed straight into the compost, and wait

In my experience I have never had any chilli plants catch any diseases whatsoever, whereas my tomatoes seem to always catch something (blight mainly)

30 degrees seems pretty warm to me. Mine germinate in 2 different props. One maintains approx 25 degrees and the other around 23 degrees.

However, last year was the first year I ever even used a heated prop! Prior to that I just left them in the living room with cling film over them. Germination took a little longer, but the end results were the same.

And the grow lamp is not essential. I only really use it during Jan and Feb, as the days get longer in March. It is not essential, so don't worry about it.

As stated I am still new to this myself, however if I had to offer one piece of advice it is this:

Between now and around mid April, chillies do take AGES to grow. Do NOT let this concern you, as May time, they generally go insane and will very quickly get enormous!

Good luck....
          Last edited by chilli_grower; 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

This is useful info thanks, I'm growing chillis for the first time (actually the first time growing anything!)

This is them at the moment, no idea how they are doing but atleast they are growing I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Cr071; 07-02-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyslip View Post
                Well I still haven't started :/ buuut reading a fb page have scared myself into thinking Chillis are way too difficult to grow...
                They are not!
                As CG says, sow them in proper medium, cover them and get them into a bit of heat and wait.....Aldi, Lidl etc have those covered trays that are ideal for hot press, plant rooms etc
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the replies :-) I've got some what are funny varieties to me anyway and am going to plant tomorrow propagator and give it a go!!

Comment

what varieties?!?!?!??!

Comment

Red Habanero
                      Orange Habanero
                      Fatalli
                      Trinidad Seasoning
                      Crest
                      Organic Numex Bailey Piquin ......they were sent free.........

Comment

Nice selection there.

Orange Habanero's are brutally hot.

I have an orange hab plant in my hallway that I have kept going during the winter.

It is looking pretty good, fingers crossed it will survive until spring kicks in....

Comment

there were 10 orange and 10 red for 50p as some sort of special offer thought I'd give it a go

Comment

reading again....not sure I chose particularly wisely when ordering but i'll give them a go see what I like...assuming I'm successful....and what I don't

Comment

well, if you like very hot chillies, you wont be dissapointed with the hab oranges!

Comment

ok, here are mine potted on today. They now have 2 or 3 good solid sets of leaves on them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X