Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which garden book would you not be without ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with reading and asking on this forum, where there is a huge amount of experience and advice. I think Dr Hessayon's books are an excellent place to start for individual subjects, and my copies of his tree and shrub book and flower book are falling apart from constant use.

My vegetabe "bible" is The Complete Food Garden by John Seymour, which was published back in 1980, so I have no idea if it is still available. It is a wonderful book, covering all aspects of self sufficient gardening including additional related subjects such as keeping rabbits and bees, preserving produce, constructing drains and all sorts.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Without any shadow of doubt, Dr Hessayon's books on growing vegetables and fruit. Clear basic advise on growing everything!
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Another fan of Dr Hessayon here, especially the Vegetable and Herb Expert.

I also like Charles Dowding's How to grow winter Vegetables, which challenged me to think about using the plot all year round, and also covers his approaches to no dig, looking after soil, compost,storing food etc. It's very well illustrated, loads of photos and a month by month planning guide.

Comment

I have noticed over the years that GYO articles are notrious for contradictory information on various veg articles so I view thess with scepticism.
          The one book I recommend to all new plot holders at my site is The Vegetable and Herb Expert by Dr Hessayon.
          Even I frequently refer to this as articles one each veg are precise and informative and detail is made easier to understand by having handy pictures without going on for pages and pages as other books tend to.
          Up-to-date books by Dr H are available from Amazon for under £3.00 or buy a new version from a bookshop for about £13.00.
          If you can get your hands on Bob Flowerdews Organic Bible (or whatever it's correct title is) the grab it.
          One plot holder bought a hefty book solely dedicated to crop rotation which I think will put them off the subject for life!

Comment

Just spotted on Amazon that there's a new/updated version of Hessayon's Vegetable Expert being released on 31st March:

"Now updated and enlarged with more information, this new edition includes:

· Standard Vegetables - from artichokes to turnips with details of up-to-date varieties;
            · Novelty Varieties - a new feature: white beetroots, black tomatoes, round cucumbers, purple potatoes...;
            · Salad Leaves - grow-your-own baby leaves from cut-and-come-again vegetables;
            · Non-standard Vegetables - plants not available at the supermarket: cardoons, celtuce, tomatillos, brukale.;
            · Grafted Vegetables - an exciting advance offering built-in root disease resistance;
            · Oriental Vegetables - how to grow exotic greens and roots you've never seen before;
            · Baby Vegetables - naturally dwark varieties such as pencil-thin leeks and finger-long corn;
            · Herbs - from basil to thyme."

Definitely worth replacing my old copy, which is falling apart.
            My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Originally posted by crannman View Post
              allotment month by month by alan buckingham
              I agree with this providing we are talking about crop growing but the original question was "which garden book...".

I will look forward to the updated Hessayon book to see if it covers some of the less popular crops that I grow currently or intend to try to grow (yacon, quinoa etc.).
              Last edited by iGrow; 24-02-2014, 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I've been told to get that vegetable and herb expert one.... Saw the new one is due out and am really trying hard to be patient and wait for it.
                I figure starting with a more up to date book is a good idea might see if library has the old one for now, it's the only one that every one I've asked has said I NEED so it must be good
                newbie! Be gentle with me while I learn the basics of growing stuff
                Kirstie x

Comment

The dumies guide to allotments
                  My Wifes Blog

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                    Another fan of Dr Hessayon here, especially the Vegetable and Herb Expert.
                    My first port of call for quick reference - when to sow / plant / harvest, yield per metre, how much seed etc etc

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    I too refer to this often, when I want some more indepth details about a particular crop.

Originally posted by Bumberling Brian View Post
                    The brief is : A book that teaches not only the basics but takes you that little further encourages you to experiment both with tried and tested methods along with new ideas .
                    For answers to specific questions Forums are great, but for answers to the questions you didn't think to ask and for some thought provoking texts about gardening then I enjoy books by Christopher Lloyd's - top of my list would be "The Well Tempered Garden" - not aimed at vegetables, specifically, though
                    Last edited by Kristen; 28-02-2014, 10:03 AM.
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've got a good one about companion planting by Brenda Little. Really love it and consult it regularly. Dorothy, I've tried looking for your 'welly to bely' book but I can't find it
                      You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                        I've got a good one about companion planting by Brenda Little. Really love it and consult it regularly. Dorothy, I've tried looking for your 'welly to bely' book but I can't find it
                        Oh, ok, we'll its by Andi Clevely, actually called The Allotment Seasonal Planner & Cookbook, from welly to belly.

Published by Collins, mine is a hardback, and was given by old work colleagues, £19.99. ( probably half that on Am....... zon.

He also has written another book called The Allotment Book.

Hope that helps
                        DottyR

Comment

Beat me to it Dorothy ancee they got new & used here .... https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...ed=0CHEQpiswAw
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Am......... 'Used' books are usually very good value, just had a quick look, they have this from £3.30 + postage.

Bargain!
                            DottyR

Comment

I buy all my gardening books 2nd hand and haven't had a bad one yet

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Just got it for £3.36! Will have a peruse once it arrives yay
                                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X