good pumpkin to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good pumpkin to grow?

Can anyone recommend a good pumpkin to grow to make pumpkin pie, I'm looking for a smallish one as I have grown big ones up to now and wasted most of the flesh.
    Could I use an autumn crown squash instead of a pumpkin?
    thank you.

Hunter squash make a really nice pie & they only have a small amount of seeds & pith,so very little wastage
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I like the orange fleshed varieties with green skins - don't have my seed stash to hand to give you varieties. Another stunning one Rouge Vif d’Etamps - orange skinned and a flattish shape. Great for cooking with.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Any of the 'high sugar' rated squash are good for pie
        Squash Winter High Sugar Mixed F1 Hybrid Seeds by T and M - Crowders

My favourite is Celebration

Comment

I use potimarron for all my cooking, they are easy to grow and have firm, orange flesh. I think they are called Urchi Kuri squash in UK? Not sure if they are any good in a pie but they make a cracking squash and sweetcorn soup. I have loads of seeds, PM me if you want me to send you any.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Ive used many in cakes and pies - blue banana was good for them, Themla sanders sweet potato was ok (not as sweet as everyone makes out- though they do seem to sweeten up the liner they're in storage IMO). Crown price (pity it's an f1) is lovely, and my favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Oi you! you're spelling my name wrong

I agree though, they do need spicing up - but carry either sweet or savoury flavours well. They are very reliable croppers, even in a cool summer

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeylottie View Post
                Can anyone recommend a good pumpkin to grow to make pumpkin pie, I'm looking for a smallish one as I have grown big ones up to now and wasted most of the flesh.
                Could I use an autumn crown squash instead of a pumpkin?
                thank you.
                You don't need to waste the flesh. You can freeze it, either in chunks or pureed.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                  I use potimarron for all my cooking, they are easy to grow and have firm, orange flesh. I think they are called Urchi Kuri squash in UK? Not sure if they are any good in a pie but they make a cracking squash and sweetcorn soup. I have loads of seeds, PM me if you want me to send you any.
                  I'm pretty certain is is what I grew.
                  They are delicious and cropped well.

We had them roasted with a chicken stock cube and blitzed. Really good soup.

Comment

thank you for all replies, I'm oing to give Urchi Kuri a go!

Comment

It's Uchiki Kuri
                      Squash (Winter) Uchiki Kuri Organic Seeds|D. T. Brown Vegetable Seeds

Comment

Feeling smug now - have ordered some Thelma Sanders
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                          Sorry Thelma, that's my fault - I have always been a bit Nellie Pledge when it comes to names of seeds
                          Thank you for posting the right name
                          Last edited by scarey55; 27-01-2014, 11:20 PM.
                          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Are you cutting up and peeling the pumpkin first? We have one called Butternut - which is yellow skinned and in the long shape. Very easy to cut up and popular because it's fairly sweet.

For the bigger round, with pleats in them pumpkins, we roast the pumpkin in the oven with some garlic and when it's cooked, we take the skin off. Just scoop out the cooked pumpkin. Easy.
                            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X