planting potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WPG View Post
    I normally plant them in March too, at the earliest. Last year I didn't plant any till 7th April, due to the late snow.As Noosner says, it's fine to start chitting them in January though.

You mentioned using supermarket potatoes Evans. I tried planting a few of those last year too, and they just went scabby and inedible. Much better to stick with seed potatoes from the garden centre.
    I planted the peelings of supermarket potatoes last year and got some lovely baby potatoes from them maybe it's just luck of the draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

It's a risk you take planting supermarket tatties some have been lucky for years, others have not, you risk bringing diseases into your soil. It's up to you to weigh the risks
      Last edited by RedThorn; 19-01-2014, 09:39 PM.
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Just threw them in a bag of spare compost last year. I have seed potatoes from Wilkos for this year though

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by polc1410 View Post
          Are you in New Herrington, Sunderland or New Herrington somewhere else?
          Yeah new herrington, durham DH4 area
          If you want to view paradise
          Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
            It's a risk you take planting supermarket tatties ...you risk bringing diseases into your soil.
            That's what they tell us, but what diseases are they talking about? Blight isn't going to be on the spuds (if it was, they'd be black & mushy)
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Didn't say I agreed or I disagreed

I see both sides of the argument

How much is scaremongering I do not know enough to answer one way or the other. Personally, I have planted supermarket taters with mixed success
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I've always sown supermarket tatties with a good success rate...............it's the "gamble" I take, however, I don't know what the gamble is.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I thought it was more so seed spuds are guaranteed virus free- so you know they should be good from that front?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    I thought it was more so seed spuds are guaranteed virus free- so you know they should be good from that front?

I think it is, I may be tempted Chris if they guarantee blight & scab free but to be fair I've been lucky enough to have never suffered with either.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                      Didn't say I agreed or I disagreed
                      and I didn't accuse you of either. I was merely quoting you so that my reply would make sense.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X