No announcement yet.

tomato plant height

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi spud man, good luck with the toms, they are worth it, they will taste fab!
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I agree in general with this advice, if you are growing small tomatoes.

Bear in mind that it takes a very long time to ripen large tomatoes, especially the beefsteaks, and I would err on the side of caution with these. There is a risk that if you don't stop the plant and encourage ripening, blight may ruin the crop. It happened to me once - I lost all the fruit because I waited too long. Had I kept to a sensible number of fruits, I may have actually got to eat one

Comment

Shall we add a little more to the confusion. Toms are growing straight up the cane,the trusses are forming on the stem, the side shoots are being removed and we are feeding and watering regulaly.

When the days are hot, hose dwn the path to reduce temperature and increase humidity. 'Tap' the canes or give them a little shake to spread the pollen to aid fertilisation of the flowers. Shade the plants from really strong sunshine and keep water off the foliage to prevent the leaves from scortching. Keep the vents open on hot days but close everything down on cold nights like tonight. Tomatos do not like extreme changes in temperature.

Never let the plants dry out, if you have you will be rewarded by the bottom of some tomatoes turning black. Never suddenly over water tomatoes or some may burst their skins! Whatevr you do, do it regulaly. If your out at work and dont have too much time use a plant feeder to feed and water your tomatoes. its easier than using a watering can and you tend not to cut corners. I have a superspray hose end sprayer filled with maxicrop and connected to my hose pipe. It dilutes as you feed or can apply just water. Because it cuts down the time and effort in this important process you tend not to cut corners.

When it comes to the reward, hold the tom in your hand with your thumb on the 'knuckle' above the fruit and press upwards. if it snaps its ready, if it resists leave it abit. Nothing tastes like a fresh greenhouse tomato with that recognisable smell!
        Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X