No announcement yet.

How do you beat slugs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poke em with a sharp stick early in the morning and spoil their day.
    Also spent hops round the base of plants as a barrier works well.
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I use a multi pronged approach

Negotiation:
      I have tried to convince them next doors garden is so much soggier than mine. Unfortunately I don’t speak slug very well. I tried sign language but the neighbour who had been watching me called social services. I said “Oh it’s alright I can explain, I am talking to the slugs” This did not help one bit.

Aerobatics:
      Launching them over the wall is very satisfying and seemed to work well until I hit Mrs. Mountjoy (Women’s institute president) in the face with a particularly soggy one.

Alcohol:
      I made jam jar beer traps but somehow begrudged giving these pests a treat when in fact I was trying to kill them. So each can I opened I felt it only right I should drink at least half of it. The search party found me huddled in a cold frame singing “I’m gonna get yer, I’m gonna get yer, look out slugs cos I’m gonna get yer”.

Ordinance:
      My home made mini land mines merely resulted in me losing a little toe.

Chemical weapons:
      Have you tried buying poison? My chemist eyes bulged when he read my list, Arsenic, strychnine, Agent Orange etc.

I have however had one success, my mother in laws banoffe pie, it really is lethal.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Here are my slug defences - six months' collection of baked and crushed egg shells. I know a lot of people find shells don't work as a barrier, but I think the trick is to put a really solid ring of shells around seedlings - at least an inch thick - and to be careful when watering not to disperse the shells.

They may not be 100% effective, but shells work better for me than some of the expensive garden centre products.
        Attached Files

Comment

I love the idea of organic but if you dilute household ammonia into water 1 part ammonia 9parts water and put it into a spay bottle and spray it at them it will kill them and doesn't harm you plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

A mixture of coffee grounds and eggshells worked for me last year.nothing ate my lettuce.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by BigV View Post
              A mixture of coffee grounds and eggshells worked for me last year.nothing ate my lettuce.
              do you use used coffee grounds, or straight from the pack?

Comment

Machete

Copper tape failed me due to the close proximity of the planters to each other and to walls etc (touching), so I resorted to pellets off the planters where slugs were known to be seen, garlic spray, and night time hunting trips with scissors.

They still wiped out my peppers and made a mess of my sunflower though I will be considering nematodes this year

Comment

I used nematode a on my spuds last year to good effect, very little slug damage. Elsewhere I used the organic ferric pellets, which also worked well.
                  Last edited by datz; 20-01-2014, 07:43 AM.
                  Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X